Dry Hop question Bottle after 1 week or 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifecrisis

Reaction score
I've got my first brew, an American IPA, in secondary dry hopping with 1 ounce of cascade whole leaf hops in a hop bag (from my LHBS). OG was 1.061, the primary fermentation (w/ US-05) seemed to go well and when I racked it to secondary after 10 days it was at 1.016. Its been in my closet with a steam beer for the past five days at 56-60 F (no airlock activity since day after racking and it looks like it is clearing up nicely). I was going to bottle after two weeks in secondary, but (after reading up on dry hopping experiences here) I am concerned about the beer developing a grassy taste. Are leaf hops more or less likely to do this?
Will the low temperature of the secondary tend to reduce the rate that this happens? When would you bottle?

I appreciate any input I can get on this--thanks.

Leaf hops are less likely to give any off flavors. I've dry hopped with pellets in a keg for a month long serving session and never had any grassy flavors.

Yes...the cooler temp will help inhibit any problems.

Remember that dry hopping can slow down a beer clarity so don't be disappointed if you have some slight haze.

Thanks for the reply BierMuncher. I have no problem with a little haze in an IPA--I'm just concerned about taste. That is good to hear that leaf hops are less prone to off flavors. It sounds like your recommendation is to stick with the original plan and bottle next weekend?

Back