Dry hop oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
Would adding a bit of sugar to restart fermentation eliminate any o2 added when dry hopping?

It's not unlike what happens with bottle conditioning, but while the yeast starts to figure things out, what is the oxygen doing in the beer? Oxidizing things.

I'd put the sugar in long enough before the dry hops that the yeast would have figured things out and be active when I add the hops.

I'd put the sugar in long enough before the dry hops that the yeast would have figured things out and be active when I add the hops.

Yeast doesn't need to "figure things out" unless you pitch it into fresh wort again.

The problem with your plan is twofold:

- it takes weeks for the oxygen that has entered the fermentor headspace to diffuse into beer and by then the yeast will be long done with fermenting the little sugar you added and will have no more use for it
- yeast's sugar metabolism is predominantly anaerobic, this means that most of the sugar will be metabolized through alcoholic fermentation without using up any oxygen, the little oxygen that might be used up before the sugar addition is all used up is negligible

Last edited:
Yeast doesn't need to "figure things out" unless you pitch it into fresh wort again.

The problem with your plan is twofold:

- it takes weeks for the oxygen that has entered the fermentor headspace to diffuse into beer and by then the yeast will be long done with fermenting the little sugar you added and will have no more use for it
Sorry about not being as clear as I should have been. I'm talking about the O2 that is introduced into the wort by the splashing of the pellets as I dry hop, not the O2 in the headspace.

Back