Dry hop on krauszen or wait for it to drop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
2 dry hop charges, early and late.
Recipe wants first charge within 3 days of pitch. It's 3 days from pitch right now. Airlock has slowed down but not dead. But, there is a thick white (lovely) krauszen on top. Worried if I add the hops that they'll get stuck in the krauszen for a while.
Thanks!

I've never seen any recipe that dryhops that early, i'd wait till at least 7 days personally. then if you really want to do double, wait till 2-3 days before bottling.

It's more important for your dryhop scedule to be the correct amount of days before bottling than the "correct" amount of days after pitching.

You can go ahead and dryhop there with no problems. It is a stylistic choice at that point not a make or break.
1. active fermentation is protection from oxygenation. Unless you are purge loading your hops this is my style for some beers.
2. I think they will help dissipate the foam, the lightest particulate will float but most should pass through as a pellet and float below the krausen during high activity then settle to the bottom during low activity-crash

I've done NEIPAs before where I've dry hopped on day 2 them again a few days from packaging. Its a biotransformation thing. Haven't done it that way lately though.

Well. Active (audible / visible) fermentation has slowed down dramatically. Read - airlock bubble rate significantly less frequent than on day 2. Krauszen is still puffy. But, whatever!

FermZilla AR, seals well. CO2 streaming during dry hop addition(s) so I'm less worried about O2 exposure.

It's day 4 and schedule is brutal. At this point, I'm just going to do hop charge 1 of 2 when I get some time. Of course, the beer will be great no matter what! The purpose of my thread was to get some thoughts on if dry hopping on top of krauszen was OK or a no-no.
Thanks all!! :)

2 dry hop charges, early and late.
Recipe wants first charge within 3 days of pitch. It's 3 days from pitch right now. Airlock has slowed down but not dead. But, there is a thick white (lovely) krauszen on top. Worried if I add the hops that they'll get stuck in the krauszen for a while.
Thanks!
I've used a long metal meat skewer (brutally sanitized of course) to punch a hole in the krausen to get the pellets mostly in the beer. Haven't had any problems plus I do it gently but fast. The krausen will reform if its still active

I just did some dry hopping directly on top of krausen (day 3) for some biotrans with the Cryo Pop blend. It's a little like 😳 at first, but because they're dry, they end up soaking through the krausen and absorbing the wort, which is what you want. Once they absorb some wort, they break up and get in solution and deliver those lovely terpenes. Done it this way a few time now with stellar results, FWIW.

Update - after all that, I hopped "into exposed wort". The krauszen was a big pillow in morning and 12 hours later at hop addition, gone! Mainly gone, anyway.

Doesn't matter. I've collected your insight so I know that, in future, hopping on top of krauszen will be fine. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back