Dry Hop (keg question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock79

Reaction score
So I have had an IPA in the keg for three weeks now and its fully carbed. My question is can I pop the lid off the keg and dry hop the keg?

Will this make the beer flat?

Sorry if this has been asked before I searched and couldn't find the answer...

Cheers

No this wont make the beer flat. Just disconnect the gas or turn it off, then bleed off the pressure. Toss in your sanitized hop bag and close it back up, then turn the gas back on to the same psi it was prior!

No this wont make the beer flat. Just disconnect the gas or turn it off, then bleed off the pressure. Toss in your sanitized hop bag and close it back up, then turn the gas back on to the same psi it was prior!

Hope this accurate I was wondering the same thing today:mug:

Won't the hop sack get clogged in the dip tube? Just wondering maybe suspending it from the lid or something.

You might also want to consider the time you leave the hop bag in the keg. If it is room temp then I usually leave it 3-5 days but some people have mentioned leaving it 5-7 days. If the keg reutrns to a cold environment then it will take much longer for the dry hop to come through (like 10-14 days or longer I have read). Try searching "dry hopping in keg" for more information. That is where I started reading.

Thanks for the replies!

I am leaving for vacation for seven days so I was going to do it before I left and let it sit for a week till I get home.

I keg hop all the time. Even at fridge temps it comes through within a day or two. I just toss the bag in, it sinks just fine, no need for marbles. I leave it in for weeks, (I dry hop for 2 weeks at room temp). At fridge temps, I don't get grassy flavors even when I have it in for 6 or 8 weeks, so I don't worry about bringing the bag out til I'm done drinking the keg. Never had a problem clogging the dip tube if they are bagged.

Awesome, I am going to throw in some hops tonight and hopefully return to a great tasting/smelling ipa....

Thanks

I keg hop all the time. Even at fridge temps it comes through within a day or two. I just toss the bag in, it sinks just fine, no need for marbles. I leave it in for weeks, (I dry hop for 2 weeks at room temp). At fridge temps, I don't get grassy flavors even when I have it in for 6 or 8 weeks, so I don't worry about bringing the bag out til I'm done drinking the keg. Never had a problem clogging the dip tube if they are bagged.

Good to know I'm gonna try it as well.:D

Back