Dry hop in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
Can you dry hop in primary vs secondary? Any downside to this?

My reasons are that I ended up with a larger batch than expected with my first AG attempt and had to split the batch into two separate carboys. I was thinking of dry hopping one as an experiment. But...since i'm already losing more beer to trub by using two carboys, I was thinking of dry hopping in the primary instead of racking to secondary. The recipe is an strong ESB with a OG of 1069, and didn't call for using a secondary.

hal simmons said:
Can you dry hop in primary vs secondary? Any downside to this?

My reasons are that I ended up with a larger batch than expected with my first AG attempt and had to split the batch into two separate carboys. I was thinking of dry hopping one as an experiment. But...since i'm already losing more beer to trub by using two carboys, I was thinking of dry hopping in the primary instead of racking to secondary. The recipe is an strong ESB with a OG of 1069, and didn't call for using a secondary.

No problem at all..just wait until the fermentaiton is done..The secondary is simply to clear the beer..no difference so all is good.

Jay

My LHBS told me to dry hop in the last 3 days or so of primary fermentation. They told me the activity in the beer would absorb more aroma. Note the last three days though, fermentation should be slowed down so the CO2 doesn't take much of the aroma away.

Nosnum said:
My LHBS told me to dry hop in the last 3 days or so of primary fermentation. They told me the activity in the beer would absorb more aroma. Note the last three days though, fermentation should be slowed down so the CO2 doesn't take much of the aroma away.
Well, How do you know when the last 3 days of fermentation are?

Just wait till you reach your final gravity or a few points within, then throw them in.

Back