Dry hop in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPJP2010

Reaction score
I recently brewed an American brown ale that didn't turn out like I expected. There is enough bitterness but it doesn't have the hop flavor and aroma that I expected. My plan was to add 1oz each of cascade and centennial to the keg. I wasn't sure if I should let the keg get to room temperature to get more out of the hops? Also, if I bag them would you just leave them in for the life of the keg, or do they need to be removed to avoid get grassy flavors?

Yes, you'd want to leave at room temp for about a week. Once you chill, far fewer oils are released from the hops. Anytime I dry hop in the keg, I always leave them and don't get any grassy flavors.

My occasional clog from the bag made me emphasize late boil and whirlpool hoop additions instead.

I have a PA that didn't turn out as expected. I'm also thinking about dry hoping in the keg. Only issue is mine is already at serving temp and has been on gas for two weeks.
What would be the outcome if I added 2 oz of Cascade in a hop bag suspended with dental floss? Would this produce any additional flavor?

I am in the same boat as my keg is in the cold and carbonated. I think I may let it back to room temperature to add the hops and let sit again before I put it back in the kegerator.

I've read an article about dry hoping in the keg once it's chilled and carbonated. I cant remember exactly but it seemed like it was split where some liked it and others didn't.
That's why I've been skeptical about doing it. My wife has been drinking it so I may just leave it as is but it may take a few months to finish it off.

I add my dry hops in a Wilser bag connected to the relief valve w/ a stainless hose clamp. I usually cold crash so when I transfer to the keg it's already pretty cold. The hop character increases the longer the hops have been in contact and warmer definitely helps. If you want quick hop character, warm it back up, but you will get additional hop character at colder temps. It is pretty interesting tasting and smelling the changes in the beer over time!

tried the dry hop in keg on something that was on tap for a couple of weeks already.
didn't pick up as much flavour as I liked and when playing around with it more, I ended up with a veggy taste. since then, I'm very careful with dry hoping after it is fully carbonated.

Back