Dry Hop in Keg AFTER Dry Hopping in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I made an IPA that was dry-hopped. When I kegged it, I thought it had the hop presence I was looking for. After I tapped it, it just didn't quite have it. Does anyone see any issue with dry hopping (again) in the keg? I've dry hopped in the keg before...I put the hops in a sack and tie dental floss to the sack. When it has the hop presence I want, I pull the hops....So that process works well.

Does anyone see an issue with basically dry hopping a 2nd time?

Multiple dry hop additions are common place. Just because you moved it to a keg before the second addition makes no difference. If the keg is cold it will take longer to get the aroma you want but it will work fine.
We drink a keg fast enough that I don't even take the hops out. We just put them in a bag and drop them in the keg. I think the cold temperature of the kegerator keeps the grassy taste away a lot longer than if you were doing it warm. It is sometimes 3 or 4 weeks before I think it's getting grassy.

I have screens in my out tube on all my kegs so I throw in a handful or two of hop cones for most batches. Citra, simcoe and Amarillo.

I dry hop in serving kegs all the time, usually with Citra, Amarillo or Cascade.

I soak a muslin hop bag in Star San, make a wax paper funnel to shuttle whole hops into the bag (funnel prevents random hop flakes from ending up stuck all over the bag), add a piece of stainless steel flatware (gravy ladle works best ;) ), tie it off and drop it in the keg.

And I leave it there 'til the keg kicks...

Cheers!

Agreed, I do this all the time. Mesh bag with hops and a SS washer or nut or whatever. I usually put mine in quite high in the keg (with dental floss), so the hops are only in contact with the beer for the first gallon or so of beer. That's my quick'n'easy solution to the hops being in contact with the beer for weeks if I don't drink it very fast...which generally isn't a problem around here.

I dry hop in serving kegs all the time, usually with Citra, Amarillo or Cascade.

I soak a muslin hop bag in Star San, make a wax paper funnel to shuttle whole hops into the bag (funnel prevents random hop flakes from ending up stuck all over the bag), add a piece of stainless steel flatware (gravy ladle works best ;) ), tie it off and drop it in the keg.

And I leave it there 'til the keg kicks...

Cheers!

Yeah, that's worked well for me too. My original question was that I already dry hopped in a secondary carboy...now that it's in the keg, it just doesn't have the hop presence I was looking for. So my question was whether or not anyone saw a problem with basically drop hopping again.....

Back