Dry hop/cold crash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
So do y'all consider cold crash time when calculating dry hop duration?

For instance, I dry hopped two iPas this past weekend, they have been hopped for 4 days. If I cold crash for 3 days for a total of 7 days is that 7 days of dry hop, or should I do a full 7 days at 68 degrees, then crash for a total of 10 days?

I imagine the answer comes down to whether or not dry hopping is effective at 42 degrees or does the beer need to remain at that fermentation temp for the dry hop to be effective?

Thanks in advance...

Maybe the text was confusing, only crashing 3 days bc I wouldn't be able to get to it till next Wednesday. 7 days of dry hop is Sunday, but was wondering if I could crash tomorrow and keg on sunday

A 7 day dry hop is not etched in stone. Some dry hop for 4 days and some for 2 weeks. I think Brulosopher did an XBeeriment with this and there was some indication that a 3-4 day dry hop gave a bit more aroma. Either way, as long as you have a few days at ferm temp before you cold crash you will be fine. My house DIPA has a 4 oz dry hop that I give 4 days then crash 48 hours then gelatin 48 hours before bottling. Works like a charm with great aroma/flavor.

So do y'all consider cold crash time when calculating dry hop duration?

For instance, I dry hopped two iPas this past weekend, they have been hopped for 4 days. If I cold crash for 3 days for a total of 7 days is that 7 days of dry hop, or should I do a full 7 days at 68 degrees, then crash for a total of 10 days?

I imagine the answer comes down to whether or not dry hopping is effective at 42 degrees or does the beer need to remain at that fermentation temp for the dry hop to be effective?

Thanks in advance...

No, dry hopping happens at such a slow rate when the beer is at serving temps that you can essentially ignore it's contribution over short periods. For instance, it would take about 6 weeks at serving temp to get the same level of dry hoppiness as if you only did it for 1 week at room temp. And even then you would likely be disappointed with the lack of contribution.

So dry hop at ambient temps for the full duration you wish to dry hop (whether it be 4 days or 14 days, or anywhere in between), and then cold crash for a few days and bottle/keg.

One more note is that you mentioned cold crashing at 42°F. While it will work, it's best to get as low as you can to help facilitate the cold crash. I never cold crash higher than 33°F

Back