Dry Hop Carbonated Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are you asking for trouble if you heavily dry hop a beer that is already carbonated?

My last hazy, I postponed carbonation until after dry hopping was complete simply because I was concerned of something like this...

If I'm using a pressurized 3" sight glass to drop 17oz of dry hops into a carbonated hazy, will it be OK or do I run the risk of the above?

I've done it and it was fine. Difference is that picture you linked is not a closed system. I'm assuming your sight glass is closed on top with butterfly between the fermentor and the glass. Open it, drop the hops, close it back up. Any volcano action stays in the fermentor and the gas doesn't go anywhere but back into the beer.

My guess is that you should be okay, since your sight glass should be pressurized higher than the interior of the fermenter. So, no pressure drop from the beer's perspective, thus no reason for CO2 to evacuate violently.

Latest posts

Back