Dry Hop AT day and FOR days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byronyasgur

Reaction score
Sorry this is a simple question but it's bugging me and anytime I search for it I can't find my answer because just I get people talking about how long they dry hop for - which is not what I'm asking :off:

When I look at a recipe I see something like "dry hop : days 5" is this referring to putting in the hops after 5 days or leaving them in for 5 days - and how come there's only one time, surely it should be more like "dry hop after 5 days for 3 days ... or something along those lines"

I usually dry hop after fermentation is complete for the stated amount of days. If they say to dry hop for 5 days I would do it 5 days prior to kegging.

I usually dry hop after fermentation is complete for the stated amount of days. If they say to dry hop for 5 days I would do it 5 days prior to kegging.

Makes sense - but do you know is that what "dry hop 5 days" is meant to mean - not dry hop after 5 days. Recipies often don't specify - esp the ones in brewers friend which I use - see attachment

I think you're right - thanks

your reply got me thinking so I did separate google searches for "dry hop for" and "dry hop after" and there were much more results for "dry hop for"

Makes sense - but do you know is that what "dry hop 5 days" is meant to mean - not dry hop after 5 days. Recipies often don't specify - esp the ones in brewers friend which I use - see attachment

Yes. The magnum in that recipe is boiled for 30 minutes and the amarillo is dry hopped for 5 days.

It's been bugging me for months and now that I see it it just seems so obvious - :smack:

Back