Dry hop advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
So I just brewed up what will hopefully be a delicious Rye IPA. The hop schedule was as follows:

.5 oz. Mt. Hood (FWH)
.5 oz. Chinook (60)
.5 oz. Citra (20)
.5 oz. Chinook (15)
.5 oz. Citra (10)
.5 oz. Mosaic (5)
1 oz. Amarillo (flameout, 45 minute hopstand)
1 oz. Mosaic (flameout, 45 minute hopstand)

Seems like this will produce a fairly fruity/tropical brew, although it should be balanced some by the rye, Chinook @ 15, and Amarillo @ FO. I'm hoping to get a complex flavor/aroma by choosing different hops for dry hopping, rather than just a tropical fruit bomb. Thinking about using Columbus, Simcoe, and more Mosaic. How would this "dank" dry hop interact with the more tropical boil hops? Seems like it could layer nicely and make for an interesting final product. Any input at all would be appreciated!

So I just brewed up what will hopefully be a delicious Rye IPA. The hop schedule was as follows:

.5 oz. Mt. Hood (FWH)
.5 oz. Chinook (60)
.5 oz. Citra (20)
.5 oz. Chinook (15)
.5 oz. Citra (10)
.5 oz. Mosaic (5)
1 oz. Amarillo (flameout, 45 minute hopstand)
1 oz. Mosaic (flameout, 45 minute hopstand)

Seems like this will produce a fairly fruity/tropical brew, although it should be balanced some by the rye, Chinook @ 15, and Amarillo @ FO. I'm hoping to get a complex flavor/aroma by choosing different hops for dry hopping, rather than just a tropical fruit bomb. Thinking about using Columbus, Simcoe, and more Mosaic. How would this "dank" dry hop interact with the more tropical boil hops? Seems like it could layer nicely and make for an interesting final product. Any input at all would be appreciated!

If you want the dry to be more piney and dank I would throw more Chinook, Columbus or simcoe in. Mosaic will give more fruit aroma.

Right. I guess the better question would be, should I stick with the same hops I used in the boil? What dank hops would go well with the ones I already used?

There is no need to stick with the ones in the boil if you want a contrast in the aroma. You could use some simcoe and even chinook which you already have in the beer or use something different.

I just made a IIPA with lots of centennial simcoe and FF. The dry hop was 3oz of galaxy and it has a nice fruity aroma but much more piney taste.

Back