Dry Equivalent for WLP820/Wyeast 2206?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to get away from wet yeast. I can't find a dry equivalent for WLP820/Wyeast 2206.

I'm making a lager which is supposed to be rich and a little sweet. Lots of American hops.

Any suggestions? It looks like I have also used WLP830 with good results, and people say Saflager 34/70 is similar, but I am always interested in outside input.

I think S189 is a good dry alternative but not an exact replacement, leans to the malty side. Works well at 60°F and let it build pressure natively to 25 psi. Solid performer, ready to keg in 5-6 days with above conditions. Clears with just clarity ferm at pitch in ~14 days. Extremely luscious before it clears though, pressure fermenting kicks out very mature beers quick since the yeast doesn't have to mop up things they didn't create as byproducts in the first place.

Thanks for the help.

I was thinking that for my first lager since returning to brewing, I should avoid pressure fermentation and do things in a way that gave me success in the past. Maybe that's stupid, though. I need to get beer in kegs right now, and it sounds like pressure fermentation will help me get the keezer full fast. I can worry about perfection after I have an assortment of beers on tap.

Back