dry airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfdrunk77

Reaction score
i'm not sure if starting a new thread is appropriate here, but i'm having trouble finding a specific answer...
To make a long story short, I brewed six batches between late december and early january, and they've been aging in the closet since then. Since I am somewhat forgetful, it did not occur to me to keep checking the fluid level in the airlocks and they evaporated below the seal. I haven't disturbed them in any way since january, so i'm hoping that no nasties have gotten in despite the airlock problem.
Has anyone out there had this experience? I'm wondering if i should attempt to drink this stuff, or if i should scrap all 14 gallons and start over.

many thanks.

co2 is heavier than air, most likely everything was protected by a blanket of co2. In any case you should not throw out all your hard work and money before at least tasting the stuff if not bottling it and letting it age before deciding.

that's what i was hoping to hear. i just bottled a gallon and threw it in the fridge in case i get brave and decide to take the plunge. I topped off the airlocks, and I guess it won't hurt to bottle a few more gallons and put them in storage until fall.

Oh by no means worry! Unless you see a Pellicle forming (and even then it shouldn't produce anything bad), your Cider is fine. Try some, and let us know how it tastes. Like Nurmey mentions, you'll know an Acetobacter infection when you smell one! :D

Technically, as long as the airlock itself is clean and sanitized (ie - no krausen residue), and there aren't insects trying to crawl through it, a dry airlock is very sanitary. Simply put, bacteria travels on dust particles, and dust can't go UP in still air - so it can't make it through the airlock. See Pasteur's famous swan-neck flask experiment from 1859 - a flask of broth with a downward-facing neck can be exposed pretty much indefinitely to air without ever being contaminated.

IMO, the only real reasons I can think of for using liquid in the airlock are:
1) preventing fruit flies/etc from crawling through
2) giving you a visual indicator of fermentation progress (bubbles)

Technically, as long as the airlock itself is clean and sanitized (ie - no krausen residue), and there aren't insects trying to crawl through it, a dry airlock is very sanitary. Simply put, bacteria travels on dust particles, and dust can't go UP in still air - so it can't make it through the airlock. See Pasteur's famous swan-neck flask experiment from 1859 - a flask of broth with a downward-facing neck can be exposed pretty much indefinitely to air without ever being contaminated.

IMO, the only real reasons I can think of for using liquid in the airlock are:
1) preventing fruit flies/etc from crawling through
2) giving you a visual indicator of fermentation progress (bubbles)

This is a very good point. And to back it up, I have had airlocks go dry quite often and no troubles. I have even had mold (yes mold) grow in an airlock once, and again the beer stayed just fine. My suggestion is always to not disturb things until you are ready to take action and rack/bottle/etc. Minimal disturbance is key.

I have several one-gallon batches, and one six-gallon batch in the closet. tonight, i pulled out a batch that i made back in december, still on the original yeast. I bottled half a gallon and i am currently sipping on the other half. it is delicious, and quite potent. if i'm dead tomorrow, or getting my stomach pumped, i'll let you all know. I just hope i have as much luck with the rest of it.
:mug:

Back