Driving in the passing lane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
41aez.jpg

Kinda in the same line of thought...why is it that some people, when they turn or merge onto a road/highway with 2+ lanes, think that they must get to the left lane ASAP. It's like they're thinking "OK, two lanes here. There's a guy up there 1/4 mile who looks like he may or may not be going slightly slower than me, I may need to pass him in 5 minutes. There's a guy coming up in the left lane who's moving considerably faster than the 40mph I'm merging at, but f*** him."

Kinda in the same line of thought...why is it that some people, when they turn or merge onto a road/highway with 2+ lanes, think that they must get to the left lane ASAP. It's like they're thinking "OK, two lanes here. There's a guy up there 1/4 mile who looks like he may or may not be going slightly slower than me, I may need to pass him in 5 minutes. There's a guy coming up in the left lane who's moving considerably faster than the 40mph I'm merging at, but f*** him."

I go by the guiding principle that everyone I haven't met is either an idiot or an a-hole and when I meet them I can classify them into their respective group

unless they don't belong in either group, then it's a pleasant surprise

Kinda in the same vein, but round here it appears that the driving instructors teach the swing left before making a right turn approach to driving. Scared the crap out of me. "Oh look he is merging into...annnd he is gone."

Said a little harshly, but he has a point. You think you are watching, but you get to messing with the radio, or singing along, and "OOPS! somebody behind me! I'll get over here pretty soon" To you, looks to us like:

You cruising, I see you a ways off and hope you will get over, I come up fast, sit behind you, wonder if you are dozing or intentionally in the left lane, you decide to pass this next car on the right before getting over, I pass you on the right and you act all indignant.

Nope. I think you both have me wrong. I don't drive in the left lane on the interstate unless there is a fairly steady stream of slow people in the right lane, otherwise I'd just be getting over, 3 seconds later, getting back into left, repeat, etc. It would be like weaving back and forth down the road. Essentially I stay in the left lane because I know I'm going to be steadily passing people and there's little point in getting over for 2 seconds. Are we supposed to pass each car, get over, pass another, get over, even if there is only a few lengths between them?!?

If there is nobody in the right lane, I'm in it, on the interstate. Now, when I drive to work I go down about a 1.5 mile stretch of a "highway" that's a street, with lights, etc. I stay in the left lane there because I'm turning left ahead, otherwise it can be hard to get back over.

I'll never, ever pass someone at some ridiculous hyper speed just because someone behind me wants to go even faster. If I'm already passing someone, I'm passing them at a comfortable, safe speed. Why on Earth would I drive ta an unsafe speed AND risk a traffic ticket just to appease someone behind me??

You sir, deserve to be punched in the balls.

I don't care if I'm the only car on the road. Right lane unless I have a reason not to be. .

And how did you miss that I said "if there's nobody behind me"? Also, I don't fiddle with the radio, etc. while driving on the highway. I'm pretty much just focusing on the road/other drivers unless I'm the only one on it. I get past congested points and into open road before I change the radio, or I use the steering wheel controls without looking away.

I try to drive as much as possible by the rule: Thou shalt not commit any driving maneuver that forces another driver to use their brakes. Or in other words, (this applies to more than just driving) Thou shalt not inconvenience someone else for your own convenience. Really bad on campus as people will stop in the middle of the road to let people out (usually involving grabbing some bags too) as opposed to driving 25 more feet to pull into the parking lot. Meanwhile 5-6 cars are now backed up

I often find myself where there are two clear speeds, one for each lane. I tend to weave back and forth, in that I want to be in the faster lane, but often there are 4-5X as many cars in the left lane, and all tailgating. Yes I'll have to periodically deal with lane switching and sometimes having to slow down while waiting to do so, BUT there are much fewer people in the right lane and I feel it is much safer as it would be much easier to deal with any problems on the road should they appear (like someone slamming on their brakes)

This used to bother me, but I've realized I'm outnumbered. Now I just blow by them on the right without a thought.

People who think you are supposed to get out of their way so they can get from the on-ramp onto the expressway and merge.

I had a car in the laft lane passing me so I couldn't have gotten over regardless, but this ****** is paying no attention as he runs out of on ramp and starts blustering and cursing me because he failed to look up and had to hit his brakes.

I might have been willing to go to jail had he wanted to discuss it up close.

The previous two days, I drove from near Rockford, Illinois to Cedar Hill, Texas...a southern suburb of Dallas. On several occasions, I did pass some ass-hats on the right. I figure if they are fiddling with the radio...or whatever...blowing past them is far safer than following them.

But then...there was the idiot in the Cadillac!..Nobody...I repeat: NOBODY else in either the right OR left lanes except the two of us. I stayed on his bumper until he woke up and realized I was there, and he promptly moved over to the right lane. After I passed him, he moved back over to the left lane! Why? I have absolutely no idea!

glenn514:mug:

The previous two days, I drove from near Rockford, Illinois to Cedar Hill, Texas...a southern suburb of Dallas. On several occasions, I did pass some ass-hats on the right. I figure if they are fiddling with the radio...or whatever...blowing past them is far safer than following them.

But then...there was the idiot in the Cadillac!..Nobody...I repeat: NOBODY else in either the right OR left lanes except the two of us. I stayed on his bumper until he woke up and realized I was there, and he promptly moved over to the right lane. After I passed him, he moved back over to the left lane! Why? I have absolutely no idea!

glenn514:mug:

He was probably planning a left turn in the next hundred miles. That often seems to be the case in my experience. :(

I am instantly wary of anyone who even calls them a slow lane and fast lane even if they are not in a car! There ain't no such things, dummy!!

The Eagles? Yes, I have my eye on those guys too.:mad:

Off topic...

We have friends in Indiana who live on the Eastern and Central time zones. EVERYBODY in this area tells you the time in "fast time" (i.e. eastern) or "slow time" (i.e. central). The one family we regularly visit has a clock which is never updated with respect to the current time in their time zone, it just flips to "fast" or "slow" time.

When I hear it it's like Pig Latin, where I have to think for a few moments to decipher what time to which they are truly referring.

Off topic...

We have friends in Indiana who live on the Eastern and Central time zones. EVERYBODY in this area tells you the time in "fast time" (i.e. eastern) or "slow time" (i.e. central). The one family we regularly visit has a clock which is never updated with respect to the current time in their time zone, it just flips to "fast" or "slow" time.

When I hear it it's like Pig Latin, where I have to think for a few moments to decipher what time to which they are truly referring.
Indiana is a running joke on another forum I frequent. "The shuttle launch is at 1:00 PM tomorrow. Unless you're in Indiana, in which case it will be the second Tuesday of last week."

cheezydemon3 said:
People who think you are supposed to get out of their way so they can get from the on-ramp onto the expressway and merge.

I had a car in the laft lane passing me so I couldn't have gotten over regardless, but this ****** is paying no attention as he runs out of on ramp and starts blustering and cursing me because he failed to look up and had to hit his brakes.

I might have been willing to go to jail had he wanted to discuss it up close.

The law in Ohio is that you must yield to the merging traffic. That said, the merging traffic has an obligation to GET THE HELL GOING! Merging at 35mph with traffic moving at 70 is a recipe for disaster.

a couple weeks ago, I'm accelerating up an entrance ramp, trying to merge into traffic and some RICHARD CRANIUM doesn't want to let me in. like I'm trying to cut in line or something. he actually speeds up to make sure there's no room between him and the car in front of him for me to merge in.

so I have to brake to get in behind him and there... on his bumper, what do I see?

bumper sticker that says, "COEXIST"

The worst.... In SoCal I was held up more than once by the..... here it comes............. the Prius Mafia! These A$$hats enjoy blocking off all lanes by driving side by side and slowing down to well under 30mph below the posted speed limit. Even on the shoulders so you can't even use them.

It's like one giant coordeinated synchronized tree hug!

Back home when people are caught speeding by radar, they see a big flash. Which immediately make them slow down and change lane. I used to carry a disposable camera in my car and i was stuck behind a slow drive in the passing lane I would just take a pic with the flash on. It never failed I was then free to go past them without any troubles.

you realize there is no such thing as a slow lane, fast lane etc.
The speed limit is the limit for all lanes. Its generally accepted that passing is done to the left at least in the usa, but its not illegal to pass to the right. Any time you exceed the speed limit even in passing it is technically illegal.

I have pulled a trailer for more miles that I would like to think about so perhaps when I am not pulling a trailer I still drive like I am pulling one. Saying that though I drive within the speed limits and do not get angry unless some asshat endangers me on the road by passing in a no passing zone or such.

I have learned over time not to worry about the stupid things other drivers do. I let people merge when they should merge with me. I do not get angry or try to educate them. I pretty much just take care of my own self and try to keep myself alive. Sadly though with so many miles on the road I have seen the effects of people getting angry and cutting others off or a multitude of stupid acts. It never ends well :(

The speed limit is the limit for all lanes. Its generally accepted that passing is done to the left at least in the usa, but its not illegal to pass to the right. Any time you exceed the speed limit even in passing it is technically illegal.

In California, the highway speed limit is 65 but everybody drives at 75. The Cops do tolerate it but will get the one that drive faster than anyone else.

WRONG

depends on the state.

in the Commonwealth of Virginia, it is ILLEGAL NOT TO YIELD to overtaking traffic, even if the overtaking traffic is speeding

Medicbrewer said:
Working in EMS and driving ambulances, this is possibly my biggest pet peeve. The only reason for being in the left lane is to pass, turn left or if you are an emergency vehicle. And for Pete's sake, people, when an emergency vehicle comes up behind you, DON'T SLAM ON BRAKES!!! Ease to the right and let them pass, they may be going to your loved one's aid. (Rant over) ....

I too work in EMS and when the aliens come to visit if they ever ride in an emergency vehicle it's immediate death ray for us thanks to stupid people. The ones I "like" are the ones in the right lane then will pull all the way to the left shoulder at 5 mph when they see you

i have pulled a trailer for more miles that i would like to think about so perhaps when i am not pulling a trailer i still drive like i am pulling one. Saying that though i drive within the speed limits and do not get angry unless some asshat endangers me on the road by passing in a no passing zone or such.

I have learned over time not to worry about the stupid things other drivers do. I let people merge when they should merge with me. I do not get angry or try to educate them. I pretty much just take care of my own self and try to keep myself alive. Sadly though with so many miles on the road i have seen the effects of people getting angry and cutting others off or a multitude of stupid acts. It never ends well :(

+1

You really need to do some research before you post. You are completely wrong on three separate points.

My biggest issue is likely with people who can't keep one speed constant. I give up trying to appease everyone. For example, I try to pick a speed (let's say 75). Yes, that is speeding in a 70, but it keeps the traffic flowing. The problem is I can't really accelerate up to 85 just to pass the folks doing 65-74 in the right lane, so I just go around them. Of course, you get the impatient one who views me now as clogging their lane. I'm not going to do 65 or 85 to satisfy him. So, I just keep speeding in the left lane until I can find a spot to tuck in that isn't going to run into the back of somebody. Well, unfortunately this can sometimes take a while. Again, I gave up on trying to please them, so I just cruise on. Of course, if the right lane is available, I will definitely get over. I have no desire to drive in the left lane in general. I only use it to pass other cars.

In most cases, I will pull in at least temporarily to let the fast guy blow by me, and I plan to get right back in without needing to take the cruise control off. What then happens is usually baffling. The very same guy who flew up behind me, becomes deathly afraid to pass me once I get over. Now, I'm having to hit the brakes to not hit the car way in front of me. So, I'm now doing 68 in the right lane, and captain scared-of-every-car-that-resembles-a-patrol-car, will not pass me. I can't get back in the left lane behind him, and he is now frozen with fear, or whatever. So, I ease on up a little and get back in front of him. Now, he's all of a sudden willing to do 75 right up on my bumper. I have to wait for the next guy flying in at 85 for my frightened friend to start tailgaiting him and leave me alone.

If I had a lazer on the front of my car, my life would be much easier..Blast them into dust. Maybe send a note home to the family saying, sorry but your family member sucked at driving and was a menace.

I would probably have to get my car cleaned a lot, because of all the dust. Oh well ,if that's what I've got to do, then that's what I've got to do...

We can all dream right!!!

No offense to any of my Washintonian friends (I have many!), but when driving through WA a few years back I couldn't help but notice how prolific the signage was about the left hand lane being used for PASSING ONLY.

Yet, I've noticed Washingtonians in OR and CA (where I drive a lot) are amongst the most egregious offenders of this common courtesy. It's probably just anecdotal though. I guess the signage in WA led me to believe that WA residents would be more mindful then most of this rule in other states, but maybe because it's not so prolifically posted in OR and CA they don't know it's still the law for "slower traffic to keep right"?

Anyway, as a guy who drives 28k-30k per year, I'm with ya on this one.

My biggest issue is likely with people who can't keep one speed constant. I give up trying to appease everyone. For example, I try to pick a speed (let's say 75). Yes, that is speeding in a 70, but it keeps the traffic flowing. The problem is I can't really accelerate up to 85 just to pass the folks doing 65-74 in the right lane, so I just go around them. Of course, you get the impatient one who views me now as clogging their lane. I'm not going to do 65 or 85 to satisfy him. So, I just keep speeding in the left lane until I can find a spot to tuck in that isn't going to run into the back of somebody. Well, unfortunately this can sometimes take a while. Again, I gave up on trying to please them, so I just cruise on. Of course, if the right lane is available, I will definitely get over. I have no desire to drive in the left lane in general. I only use it to pass other cars.

In most cases, I will pull in at least temporarily to let the fast guy blow by me, and I plan to get right back in without needing to take the cruise control off. What then happens is usually baffling. The very same guy who flew up behind me, becomes deathly afraid to pass me once I get over. Now, I'm having to hit the brakes to not hit the car way in front of me. So, I'm now doing 68 in the right lane, and captain scared-of-every-car-that-resembles-a-patrol-car, will not pass me. I can't get back in the left lane behind him, and he is now frozen with fear, or whatever. So, I ease on up a little and get back in front of him. Now, he's all of a sudden willing to do 75 right up on my bumper. I have to wait for the next guy flying in at 85 for my frightened friend to start tailgaiting him and leave me alone.

This is my nightmare, and my reality half the time I'm driving across country. I feel ya.

One of my jobs is 15 miles away and does not pay well, so I want to save on gas. Now, this will most likely annoy some but I don't care. I go 40 in the section that is a 40 limit, but for the long stretch that has a 55 limit I just set the cruise control to 50. I save gas, and I am in the sweet spot where I rarely catch up with another crawler and I just let everyone else sort themselves out while all my problems melt away. I don't feel that 5 mph below the limit is unreasonably slow, and I would disagree with anyone that does think that.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll do 50 all the way in the left lane, just for the halibut. ;)

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
One of my jobs is 15 miles away and does not pay well, so I want to save on gas. Now, this will most likely annoy some but I don't care. I go 40 in the section that is a 40 limit, but for the long stretch that has a 55 limit I just set the cruise control to 50. I save gas, and I am in the sweet spot where I rarely catch up with another crawler and I just let everyone else sort themselves out while all my problems melt away. I don't feel that 5 mph below the limit is unreasonably slow, and I would disagree with anyone that does think that.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll do 50 all the way in the left lane, just for the halibut. ;)

Hyper-milers are like gingers. No reason to live.

I like to start off really slow from the red light and watch the mileage, I got it up the 38 the other day.:fro:

I despise coat-tailers. You know, the ones that will drive EXACTLY the speed limit... right up until the moment you pass them. Then they'll match your speed. I *know* their logic - if he's in front, they'll pull him over first. News flash - you rarely get stopped from the front. Even if you meet a cop on the road, he's going to have to turn around. And then...who is he going to come up to first?

Hyper-milers are like gingers. No reason to live.

hehe. The younger me hears ya! The older me though is happy to derive smug pleasure from pulling up at a red light beside the guy that blew past me half a mile back. ;)

Ya know why I am pulling beside him and not behind him? Because, more often than not, he is STILL in the darn passing lane!! :)

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
hehe. The younger me hears ya! The older me though is happy to derive smug pleasure from pulling up at a red light beside the guy that blew past me half a mile back. ;)

Ya know why I am pulling beside him and not behind him? Because, more often than not, he is STILL in the darn passing lane!! :)

Even better is when commander hyperdrive passes you at a hundred mph. Then a few miles later you pass him as he sits on the shoulder talking to a policeman

Latest posts

Back