drippy bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daum

Reaction score
So the otherday at my homebrew store I was talking to one of the guys about the necessity of a bottling bucket and he said that it just is well worth it, but that if I already have at a primary I could just cut a hole in it and stick a spigot in it. So this is exactly what I did. I attempted to cut the hole, which I found to be much more difficult than one would think. Managed to use an entire box cutting knife blade, and finished it with my pocket knife. The whole is pretty much a very tight fit for the spigot, as you have to wiggle the spigot to get it in. the problem is that it seems to slowly let a little liquid out, which is going to be a large problem especially if i want to use the bucket as my primary still. Anyone else have a leaky bucket before or a fix for it? I attempt to screw on the spigot really tight, but it still is allowing a little drip.
Daum

daum said:
So the otherday at my homebrew store I was talking to one of the guys about the necessity of a bottling bucket and he said that it just is well worth it, but that if I already have at a primary I could just cut a hole in it and stick a spigot in it. So this is exactly what I did. I attempted to cut the hole, which I found to be much more difficult than one would think. Managed to use an entire box cutting knife blade, and finished it with my pocket knife. The whole is pretty much a very tight fit for the spigot, as you have to wiggle the spigot to get it in. the problem is that it seems to slowly let a little liquid out, which is going to be a large problem especially if i want to use the bucket as my primary still. Anyone else have a leaky bucket before or a fix for it? I attempt to screw on the spigot really tight, but it still is allowing a little drip.
Daum

don't use that bucket as a primary anymore. Bacteria could get in the spigot and stay there giving you an infection. Get a glass 6.5 gallon primary (20 bucks), 5 gallon secondary (20bucks). The leak won't be good for fermentation as you have possible avenue for infection. Probably won't affect the bottling but not ideal either.

Aye, well I already have a 6.5 gallon primary plastic, and then a 5 gallon glass carboy. Just really would like this one not to be broken and wasn't sure if there was some fix others have used when they found themselves in this situation.
Daum

Too tight might be the problem. The gaskets on a bucket spigot have an ideal tightness range. I would back off the nut, put some water in the bucket & tighten 1/4 turn at a time until the leaking stops. It would also be a good idea to sand the edges of the holes to remove any burrs.

I have three buckets with spigots (which I use for fermenting or cleaning) and go through this tightening process every time I dismantle them for cleaning. [The glass carboy vs Better bottle vs bucket debate is one of those things that will never die, because there advantages & disadvantages on all sides.]

David_42's right, overtightening can cause a leak. There're several HBTers that ferment in a bucket with spigot, and they don't need to siphon.
Make sure you remove the spigot for cleaning and sanitization, lots of places for beasties to hide.

Back