Drip Tray with Glass Rinser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing some tap lines through the wall in a small 'wet bar' area I have that backs against my garage. In looking at the drip tray options I thought, man, wouldn't it be cool to have the kind with a glass rinser. Not only does it help with the pour but it will do a nice job of helping to keep my drip tray clean. In doing a little bit of research and looking further into it, I am finding that most people get to the point where I did and decide that it just isn't economical mainly due to the plumbing part of it. You basically need to have a water line installed to wherever your drip try is. Not an easy or cheap task. That's when I got to thinking. I have a 5 tap keezer where one tap always has carbonated water for the wife and kids. Why not put some sort of tee on the supply line and run to the glass rinser? The water will be cold and will have enough pressure to blast the glass with cool water. The only thing would be that the water would be carbonated (don't know why that would be a big deal). Also, I may have to re-fill the keg a little more often but one 5 gal corny lasts at least a few weeks prior to 'robbing' some for glass rinsing.

I will still have to figure out where I will run my drain line but I have a few ideas in the works for that. Last resort I can use a bucket and just have to keep an eye on it and empty from time to time.

I plan to get started on this very soon but I thought I would throw this out to get some thoughts before pulling the trigger on the drip tray as they are quite a bit more $ compared to a standard tray. Thanks.

Here is an example of the tray with the glass rinser in case you haven't seen it.

View attachment 1441135149216.jpg

I like the idea if you can plumb both the water and the drain. It is way outside my budget unless I win the PowerBall.

I do not like the bucket idea. It would not take long for that water to get foul.

My current plan is to plumb it to drain outside. If that isn't feasible I am going to try and splice into the same pipe my sink drains are connected to (whatever you call that).

I think I can make one work.

My current plan is to plumb it to drain outside. If that isn't feasible I am going to try and splice into the same pipe my sink drains are connected to (whatever you call that).

I think I can make one work.

See if you can connect a "T" between the bottom of the sink and the trap and drain into that.

Having spent many years and many dollars cheaping out on projects I have discovered two things
1) you will never be happy with the outcome and
2) if you can't afford to do it right, you surely can't afford to do it twice....which you will.

Just my learnings over the years, feel free to ignore my ramblings

I have carbonated water ontap alot too and i've thought of doing this before but still haven't gotten around to my drip tray yet. I would just run a drain line to a bucket and see how it goes. my workshop has water but not really practical to hook into the drain line plumbing (i'm not jackhammering through concrete for that!) I just keep a 5 gallon bucket under the spigot I have in there for grabbing a glass of water or little rinses of this and that. As long as I dont dump a bunch of yeast in this bucket I have no trouble with it getting nasty, i think you would be fine doing this for a while, then see if the effort to hook the drain into your plumbing is needed.

Here is a thought. If you have a cold water line remotely nearby you can use one of those icemaker installation kits to plumb it. Something like
026613164113.jpg

The line should be small enough to be easily run to where you are installing the tray, and should be purchasable in long enough sections. You could also probably get away with some small diameter pvc as a drain as you should not be filling the tray up all that fast.

Here is a thought. If you have a cold water line remotely nearby you can use one of those icemaker installation kits to plumb it. Something like
026613164113.jpg

The line should be small enough to be easily run to where you are installing the tray, and should be purchasable in long enough sections. You could also probably get away with some small diameter pvc as a drain as you should not be filling the tray up all that fast.

I've had this same thought but i'm not sure if the water from that size line is going to blast out with enough pressure to properly rinse the glass. Thoughts?

I think it all depends on the diameter the glass rinser uses. So long as the icemaker line is larger than the glass rinser, pressure will only go up. Think of it like a jet bottle rinser. Though Then again the resistance of such a long run of line would slow things down. Hmmm... I dont know.

026613164113.jpg

I was thinking about this as well. There is a fridge somewhat nearby. When I am under my house looking for drain pipe pathways I will look for the one that runs to the fridge. I just know that the water won't be chilled as that coming from the fridge as that line goes through the freezer. And if it goes through my crawlspace, it will be the same temp as the crawlspace (I could insulate it but it gets hot down there and it's a decent run). Thanks for the suggestion.

I haven't gotten the drip tray yet but I imagine they have some sort of nozzle on the end so it shoots out at a higher flow rate.

Back