drip tray question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker111

Reaction score
Hi brewers.
I built a 4 tap keezer and have the typical wooden collar. Time to add a drip tray but weary of drilling in to front and hitting a cooling line. What have some of you done for this? I need one 18 inches long to span the 4 taps.
Thanks

Maybe you can glue a long magnet to the fridge and another one on the driptray.

I work for a sheet metal fab shop, so I had this front piece laser cut out of 18 GA polished 304 and got one of our welders to weld the drip tray to it.

20170616_104325.jpg

I have a 16" SS drip tray and used rare earth magnets. Holds secure.
I used 4 60x10x5mm. Check out Ebay or Amazon. I paid under $8 with free shipping.
If you go larger than a 16" drip tray you may need larger magnets.

Here's the non-drilling solution I used.

I bought a couple magnetic paper towel holders from Menards (home store). They are strong, very strong. I stuck them on the front of the keezer, laid the drip tray on them, used a couple of magnets to hold the drop tray to the paper towel holders, and voila! No-drill keezer drip tray.

The weight is supported from underneath, not by hanging from screws.

At some point I'll drill a couple holes in the paper towel holders, add a couple screws, and use that to hold the drip tray to the paper towel holders instead of the magnets. On my list to do. :)

BTW, the bottom pic shows an 8-pound container of bullets sitting on the drip tray; it'll hold a glass of beer or two. :)

papertowelholder.jpg

driptraymagnet.jpg
driptray.jpg
driptrayweight.jpg

Last edited:
I use a bunch of small rare earth magnets and a tube into a Home Depot bucket. Put some magnets under the tray too and wrap them in electrical tape backwards so it grips to the freezer. Creates more friction allowing for a full pint to sit on the drip tray.

The Keg Connection had splash guard drip trays already...no need to have one fabricated. You might have to fill your shank holes with dowels and drill new ones depending on the spacing.

I'm throwing this out there as a suggestion to consider.

My drip tray, of course, catches drips; then it looks bad because the beers, some dark, leave splotches on my nice and clean drip tray.

If I know I'm having company and want to show it off a bit, I'll put a piece of paper towel on the tray to catch those drips. As long as you're not dumping out glasses, or catching streams from an open faucet, it works remarkably well.

And it keeps the drip tray clean.

papertowel.jpg

Wish I'd seen this before I bought mine. The tray I have is 6" x 14" which is just barely wide enough for 5 faucets spaced 3" apart.

They also have a 6" x 16" trip tray for $19.95; I could have easily created a support from magnets and a little angle-iron. And it would have been cheaper and wider than what I have.

I bought the 19" drip tray linked above, which is not magnetic. To mount it, I went to the hardware store and bought a 1"x1/8"x48" flat aluminum bar for $10 and cut three 12" lengths off of it and bent them at 90° to form L brackets. This was cheaper, and lighter, and matched the look of the stainless steel better than pre-made 6" L backets which were like 7 bucks a pop. I used 2 ton epoxy to glue three 1.25" diameter rare earth magnets to the back side of each bracket, lined the back of each magnet with duct tape to provide some grip against the freezer as well as prevent scratching, and mounted them on the freezer with a level. Then I secure the drip tray on top of that with some Velcro so it stays put but is easily removable for cleaning.

AfyRJYX.jpg

310nz

Back