drinking while brewing, now help me estimate O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevind

Reaction score
So say I'm making a Belgian Pale Ale, and I put the following fermentables into it:

6.6 lbs Briess Pilsen LME
2.6 lbs Muntons Light LME &
1 lbs Candi Sugar

which Beer Calculus says should give me an O.G. of 1.077. Then I look at that, and I begin to wonder if maybe I didn't mean to write down 3.3 Lbs of light LME, because where on earth would I get 2.6 pounds of LME? It comes in 3.3 lbs cans, or 1 or 6 lbs bulk at the homebrew shop. I must have meant 3.3. So adding the extra .7 lbs of LME give me a target O.G. of 1.083.

But here's the real problem: I did drink quite a bit of homebrew while brewing this beer, and say I forgot to measure the specific gravity until about 12 hours after pitching my yeast. The yeast, by the way, was 2 very old packs of Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale that were very active in the 2 pint size starters I made for them. When I did finally wake up and remember to take my specific gravity measurements I found it to be 1.072.

Now, what I want to know is how much could the specific gravity have fallen in those first 12 hours. Is 1.077 or 1.083 reasonable as an assume original gravity?

Don't drink while you brew. Seriously. It's my zeroth rule of brewing. That's why I start at sunup.

Don't listen to this guy. Brewing isn't brewing without drinking.

To answer your question: It really doesn't matter what the OG is. RDWHAHB

if your using a strong ale yeast you could see a drop from 1.083 to 1.072 in 12 hours, it just depends on how warm or cold you were storing it at. the fact that you used a starter also makes me think that it would have had an og of 1.083. i have seen a 10 point drop in gravity in around 12 hours when using an active yeast culture.

Back