Drinking out of the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
does anyone ever drink their brews out of the bottle if you get a batch with light sediment? i drank a bottle of stout last night from the bottle for kicks and i couldnt notice any difference.

I used to be a bottle-only drinker. But after reading things on here and elsewhere on the intrawebs, I realized how much I was losing from the character of the beer by not pouring it properly into a glass.

Add to that the sediment in my homebrew, and I haven't drank from a bottle in quite some time now.

I still do frequently. I don;t fear the sediment and usually swirl it up to pour into the glass anyways.

sometimes, a bottle is just more convienient. Beer gods be damned.

i always drink my beer out of the bottle. just be careful with the last few sips. loaded with yeast and yeast is a natural laxative.

I used to be a bottle-only drinker. But after reading things on here and elsewhere on the intrawebs, I realized how much I was losing from the character of the beer by not pouring it properly into a glass.

Add to that the sediment in my homebrew, and I haven't drank from a bottle in quite some time now.

This is how I feel. You don't get to properly observe the nose of the beer, the color/amount of the head, lacing, or even the color/clarity of the beer.

I think I probably drank from the bottle when I first started brewing. Can't really remember, but it seems like something I would have done back then. Nowadays I rarely drink any beer without pouring it first. It could be an interesting and easy experiment. I think I'll try that when my hefe is ready since I want the yeast anyway, and compare the flavor.

...yeast is a natural laxative.

Oh man, you know it!

My bride can tell when I've been drinking a batch that I haven't tasted in a while. Something about consuming a different microflora of yeast really mixes it up down there...

I always tended to pour it. That way, I could give the bottle a good rinse, right then and there. It was a good habit to get into.

As for the aroma, yes, I like to get the most of that, too. However, it's your beer. Enjoy it as you like.

TL

Personally, I have never had a home brew that wasn't in a glass. I have very bad gas anyway, but when I miss my normal "stop the pour" cut off point and get yeast in there, or pour too fast and some gets in it smells like rotten eggs times 10. I mean I even drive myself from the room. I still make a hefeweizen in the Spring though and swirl the yeast in for some good ol' fashion Spring cleaning. It gets me back to regular after my low activity level and high fat diet in the Winter. But when it's gone, it's gone. Even though it's one of, if not my most favorite ale I only make the one batch.

However, it's your beer. Enjoy it as you like.
Word.

Me, I pour pretty much everything into a glass before drinking. I like to get my face right down in it and take a whiff. Not just at the start either. I end up with foam on my nose a lot more than most folks ;)

-Joe

If I'm drinking something like Bud then I drink out of the bottle.

If I'm drinking better beers then I always pour it in the bottle. I think it's almost like an art pouring the beer in the glass while it's raised to the light. Seeing the beer go in the bottle creating the head. And then being able to smell the hops and everything while I'm drinking for the glass is just awesome. You can't get that from drinking out of the bottle.

Just my 2 cents. To each their own though.

Back