Drinking old homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommymac

Reaction score
I was at my dads house the other day looking for my old homebrewing equipment and to see how much I still had in terms of bottles and caps etc..

I found several old bottles of homebrew (prolly over 10 years old) now some of it was in the upstairs room I used to call home I know thats prolly bad since it gets quite hot in the summer and cool in the winter. I did also find about 5 bottles in the basement which has a prety consistent temp year round. I dont know what style they are but are likley a porter or a stout since thats what I mostly brewed.

Think its worth opening and having a drink?

Tom

Tom, you bet it's worth it! It's likely that the stuff isn't going to be too hot, or maybe even geyser everywhere, but that's half the fun in trying. However, there's an off chance that it might be tremendously awesome, an opportunity that you would miss out on if you left them alone or dumped them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Personally, I wish I had some 10 year old homebrew to try for science's sake, but I don't. Hopefully I can live through you vicariously as you share your impressions of your very-aged beer and maybe post some pictures? :D

of course it's worth trying....It may taste like crap...or it may be great, but you won't know unless you try them...they won't kill you.

There was an article in Zymergy around christmas by Charlie Papazian, tasting winning beers he's had stored since the first GABF...Some were fantastic and some hadn't held up, but were drinkable....Granted he had them properly cellared and everything....some were 25 years old and were even better than they were the first year...

But you won't know anyting unless you try...You'll know if any's infected before they touch your lips, and if they just taste bad you can dump 'em...

Just don't expect much and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Dont do it! The chance that they'll ruin you are too great.

Next thing you know you'll be aging all of your Porters and Stouts for a decade.

Ok I will go for it. If you never hear from me again you know something went wrong:tank:

Tom

I'd take them outside to open them, but it's worth a try. Since they're dark side, they'll either gusher or be great.

It's been 3 days...What's the deal? Did they kill you?

Joking...Exactly the same scenario happened to me...My decade old brew was very good. The light ale was a bit "Dusty" tasting...but it wasn't very good to begin with.

The stout...>MMMMMMMMM

I am still alive, just havent had time to sample one yet with a hectic work schedule. I have one more overnight in the ER then am off the rest of the week so I plan to quaff one of 2 of them at that time. I just cant guarantee I can be all that poetic :D

Tom

Sorry for th edelay everyone I am alive and well and am quaffing some ancient homebrew as I speak:mug: Its my old porter recipe. Its actualy kinda flat, but I do recall having a few batches that didnt carbonate well if at all for some reason. It has def mellowed, I remember my porter having a nice malty bite from the choc and blk patent malts and a slight hoppy bite to it. I used to play around withthe hopps trying to get something like a sirea nevada. Its very smooth now and is more on the bland side compared to what it was. its still fairly good and I will be finishing this bottle and maybe the 2 other 22oz bottles before the missus comes home.:rockin: if my typing improves then we know the alcohol is still in there:tank:

Tom

Back