drinking lager too early...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grohse

Reaction score
I made a German lager(first lager atempt) for a friend's birthday party, promised him for months and months to have a case of homebrew for his party. Well, the party turned out is about 3 weeks earlier than I thought. The beers been in the bottles and fridge for about 5 days, and I only have another 5 till the party. Hahaha, I know this all seems blasphemous.......but is there anything really negative about aborting the lagering process and drinking it as it is? I mean, I actually drank a glass tonight, and it frankly was not very good(whod have thought) but it also wasnt that bad. We wont all keel over and die from the yeast not being lagered properly will we? I mean, all that will be missing will be clarity, crispness, clean lager taste..right?.. I just dont want to make anyone sick with this lager yeast. I highly doubt that could happen since the fermentation was done as much as it should I believe, but I still thought I would ask. Anyone else been there? Thanks. :)

I ran into the same problem, although it was an ale and not a lager. My problem was that the bottles ended up not be carbed enough and the beer was a touch sweet.

Bottom line, its perfectly safe to drink, it just won't taste nearly as good as it could.

Yeast will not kill you...it's full of vitamin B.

How long was it in the secondary? I ferment it there for 2-3 months prior to bottling.

For clarity, I always give my bottles a spin when I bottle and about 3-5 days later. This starts a mini-tornadic action inside the bottle and helps elements fall out (to the bottom) a bit quicker, which also clarifies some. :D

vtfan99 said:
I ran into the same problem, although it was an ale and not a lager. My problem was that the bottles ended up not be carbed enough and the beer was a touch sweet.

Bottom line, its perfectly safe to drink, it just won't taste nearly as good as it could.

Just trying to help, but your 2 problems were not enough priming sugar or too low a temp and you should have used more bittering hops. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
Just trying to help, but your 2 problems were not enough priming sugar or too low a temp and you should have used more bittering hops. :D

Appreciate the help but Im confident that it was because the beer was too "green". Several bottles that did not go in the fridge tasted absolutely delicious about 3 weeks later. I mean, I only gave it about 1 week to carb in the bottle...not nearly enough.....and this is why I now keg :D

Back