Drinking Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry22

Reaction score
Im sure there are already a couple of these on here but I decided why not make a new one after I was urged by Brewskii.

In another thread discussing BMC, I mentioned they have their place because certain drinking games can only be played with cans, such as Beer ball, one of my favorites.

Beer ball is the ultimate drinking game for two reasons: 1) the goal of the game is to drink as much as possibly unlike many others (beer pong). The winner is the one who finishes their beer the fastest. 2) Its an active game depending on how in to it you are.

Beer Ball
People: 4
Drink: Canned Beer
Rules
1) Their are 2 teams of 2. Each team takes two sides of a flat table, beer pong or ping pong table works best, also square edges pretty needed.
2) Beer cans of choice are placed upside down on the 4 corners, one for each player.
2) After it is determined who goes first, the thrower of team 1 throws a ping pong ball at the other team's cans.
a) If the ball hits the can of team 2, team 1s drinker (not the thrower for this round) flips over his can and starts to drink as fast as possible and continues to do so until team 2 returns the ball to the table surface and says "DOWN".
b) The thrower and drinker on each team alternate, but you never throw and drink in the same "round"
3) Team 2 takes their turn and tries and hits team 1's can and now team 1 is returning the ball to the table as fast as possible.
4) This alternates until a team finishes their beer (both cans) which would make them the winner

So it takes 4 "rounds" for everyone to drink once and throw once but it goes by very fast, unless no one is hitting cans which tends to happen when youre driking. Games tend to be quicker than beer pong because you are drinking as fast as possible.

Misc Rules
These are still important so pay attention.
1) Beer cans cannot be flipped over or touched until the ball thrown by your team member has hit the opposing teams can. Once hit and you have drank some, obviously you dont put it upside down again, but the no touching rule still applies
2) If a can is knocked off the table and hits the ground by the opposing team's ball, you must start with a whole new can upside down. (This has made for some cool moments diving for falling cans)
3) The way you throw the ball and how hard determines its trajectory, making for some interesting games. Also the layout of the room (furniture) determines how hard it is to find the ball and return it to the table as fast as possibly. To be equal switching sides is usually a good idea.

Optional Rules
1) I like to play the slightly rougher way by allowing "interference" when the ball has hit the can. The way I play is say Im playing with my friend Bill and Im throwing. I hit the other teams can and bill immediately starts chugging his beer, while the other team is searching for the ball I can run interference giving bill more time. We usually keep it light but like standing in front of the person as they run back to the table or a little shove. This is used in conjunction with slapping the ball. Many times the ball will bounce off the can back to you and you get one slap or interference per round.

In that same situation from above, after I hit the can and bill starts drinking I could either slap the ball away from the other time or run interference only once though.

Landmines
People As many as you want
Drink Bottled or canned beer
Rules
1) Players arrange themselves around the table. Each person has a cup theyre drinking out of filled to their desired amount, usually a big gulp for each person
2) At the center of the table is a cup filled to the top.
3) You begin by spinning a quarter and while that quarter spins you chug your beer and must finished before it stops. If you dont finish your beer before the quarter stops you must start over.
4) Using your empty beer can or bottle you can smash an opponents quarter as it spins making them start over. The can or bottle must stay where it is creating "landmines". Alternatively you can just place the bottle/can wherever making landmines.
5) This adds difficult to the game because the area your quarter has to spin decreases with each landmine added making it more difficult to drink your beer before the quarter stops or hits a landmine.
6) If the quarter hits the big cup in the middle the person must drink the entire thing in one go.

Both of these games are fun because the object is for YOU to drink as much as you can, not the other team. Although I enjoy beer pong, never understood being excited because you shut out the other team and they didn't make one cup. These games reward the drinker.

So post your drinking games and how to play them.

Edited: Missing some stuff, rules

Landmines
People As many as you want
Drink Bottled or canned beer
Rules
1) Players arrange themselves around the table. Each person has a cup their are drinking out of filled to their desired amount, usually a big gulp for each person
2) At the center of the table is a cup filled to the top.
3) You being by spinning a quarter and while that quarter spins you chug you beer and must be finished before it stops.
4) As the game progresses and people drink, the empty cans or bottles are placed where ever the person wants on the table, thereby creating "Landmines"
5) This adds difficult to the game because the area your quarter has to spin decreases with each landmine added making it more difficult to drink your beer before the quarter stops or hits a landmine.
6) If the quarter hits the big cup in the middle the person must drink the entire thing in one go.

I like the sound of that one.

Both of these games are fun because the object is for YOU to drink as much as you can, not the other team. Although I enjoy beer pong, never understood being excited because you shut out the other team and they didn't make one cup. These games reward the drinker.

So post your drinking games and how to play them.

Because when you play with keystone or natty light it is a punishment to drink.

Because when you play with keystone or natty light it is a punishment to drink.

I play with coors light or something better but true. Still you play drinking games to get drunk so why not win while youre doing it?

I play with coors light or something better but true. Still you play drinking games to get drunk so why not win while youre doing it?

Beer pong I don't though. I actually love playing beer pong and there was about 2 years of my life that a group of about 5-10 of us did nothing but that almost every night. 2 or 3 nights a week we could end up going through 5-4 30 packs a night playing. There were also tons of times we wouldn't even play with beer. We would just use water and practice. We all got really damn good and every few months would have a huge tournament. It would pay out the top 3 or 5 places and top prize would usually walk away with a minimum of $400 and most of the time close to $600.

We took it a little too seriously. :eek:

Beer pong I don't though. I actually love playing beer pong and there was about 2 years of my life that a group of about 5-10 of us did nothing but that almost every night. 2 or 3 nights a week we could end up going through 5-4 30 packs a night playing. There were also tons of times we wouldn't even play with beer. We would just use water and practice. We all got really damn good and every few months would have a huge tournament. It would pay out the top 3 or 5 places and top prize would usually walk away with a minimum of $400 and most of the time close to $600.

We took it a little too seriously. :eek:

Serious. Dang. Im terrible, dont play down here very much. Its popular I just dont feel like waiting around at parties and playing with HPV laden cups.

Serious. Dang. Im terrible, dont play down here very much. Its popular I just dont feel like waiting around at parties and playing with HPV laden cups.

That was one good thing about it. If I ever went to a party that none of those other friends were at I would usually get on the table and keep going until everyone else was too drunk to play or I got bored. My buddy and I held a table at a party once for just under 4 and a half hours.

Beer Hockey
People As many as you can fit sitting around a table, but at least 4 or 5
Drink Bottles or cans
Rules
1. Players seat themselves evenly around a table(round, square, rectangle, whatever) with their hands on their knees. Players place their drinks about 6 inches from the edge of the table directly in front of themselves.
2. One player(doesn't matter which one) spins a quarter on the table and immediately puts his/her hands back on their knees.
3. The same player that spun the quarter then calls the name of another player.
4. The called player then tries to slap the quarter against any opposing player's drink.
5. The uncalled players, including the original spinner can attempt to block the shot with two fingers only(pointer and pinkie fingers in a rock n roll type hand gesture) a few inches from their own drink.
6. If the called player misses the shot off the table, the game resets and the called player becomes the new spinner.
7. If the called player hits another players drink the quarter is still alive as long as it is still moving and on the table. Any player can play it into another's drink at this time. So, one round could produce many drinks hit, or even the same drink hit mutliple times.
8. When a player's drink is hit they must drink. The player that shot the quarter against their drink will spin the quarter on the table and the drinker must continue drinking for as long as the quarter spins or until their drink is gone. Other players can flick the spinning quarter in an attempt to keep it spinning longer. Other players may also try to stop the quarter on its edge. If they succeed, the drinker must finish their drink. If they fail, they must finish their own drink.
9. The name that was called on the previous round always becomes the new spinner for the fresh round.
10. If the original spin travels into any of the drinks on the table, the spinner must drink 2 gulps and spin again. If it happens a 2nd time, they must finish their drink.

The game can be played indefinitely.

Wizard Staff
Players unlimited
Drink Cans
Rules
Not really a game persay, but more of something to do when you're bored and drinking out of cans. After each finished can, place the new unopened can on top of the empty can and secure it with duct tape. Crack the top and begin drinking new can. Continue the process and watch your staff grow. Obligatory remarks such as "my staff is way bigger than your staff" or "look your staff has a crazy bend in it" ensue as the staffs grow ever longer.
wizard_s_staff.jpg

^^^it is very important that the fresh beer is taped to the growing staff before you start drinking it. This way each sip is taken off the top of the long staff. Obviously this becomes pretty tricky and rather funny as the staff grows above head height.

Dregaddict, both of those sound fun. Heard of wizard staff before, never done it though.

Here's a fun little drinking game that was supposedly made up by one of my buddy's cousins. Whether that's true, or they just adopted it from someone else, I can't say. What I can say is... it can be brutal. It's an excellent spectator sport as well, since some of the matches can get rather heated.

Tennis

What do I need to have on-hand to play Tennis?

A. Two (2) dice

B. A flat playing surface with a line across the middle. One side of a ping pong table does nicely. Mom's kitchen table and some masking tape will suffice as well.

C. Four players and a scorekeeper.

The goal of this game is to be the first team to score 11 points. You also have to win by at least 2 points. We used to play until a team scored 21 but there was some alcohol poisoning issues...

How To Score (At least in this game...)

tennis_setup.gif

A and B are on the same team. Likewise, C and D are on the same team.

One player from each team will roll a dice on the table. You always roll against the person that is diagonally across from you. In this instance, A will roll against D, and B will roll against C.

The dice MUST cross the middle line, but MUST NOT roll off the table. Should the dice fail to cross the line or should it roll off the table, that team automatically loses the particular roll. You "win" the roll by rolling a higher number than your opponent.

So let's say that A rolled a 3, and D rolled a 6. D wins that roll, and thus, scores a point for his team. The losing team must therefore drink the number of drinks equivalent to the number on the die that they lost to. In other words... A 6 is what beat them, so take 6 drinks. Whee! B then rolls against C, etc. etc...

NOTE: You do NOT drink the difference between the 2 dice, you drink the full amount that is shown on the winning die.

Punishment For The Clumsy

When getting ready to roll, hold on to your dice. You drop it, and it's considered "Sloppy Dice", and you just automatically lost the roll, butterfingers. Your teammate will love you for that.

Didn't make it across the line? You just automatically lost the roll.

Roll it right on the line? Re-do the roll.

Here's Where It Gets Real Fun...

Let's say that A rolls a 3. D rolls a 3 as well. This is called a "Goocher". When a goocher occurs, the same 2 people that just rolled the goocher must reroll, but now the stakes are doubled. This roll is worth 2 points, and the team that loses the roll must drink twice the number of drinks. Lose to a 6? Take 12 drinks (roughly one full beer).

Roll a goocher again while rolling for your goocher? Yay! This is a Double-Goocher: 3 points, 3 times the drinks. This can go on again and again.. Triple-Goochers, Quads, etc...

NOTE: This game is not compatible with 1.080 beers.

A common one that gets thrown around here is called Buffalo. Real simple. If you're caught holding your beer in your dominant hand, someone else can call Buffalo on you, and you've gotta finish your drink. One of the few times in life where it pays to be left handed haha.

Flip Cup is probably my favourite though. We've also got drinking Jenga, which is regular jenga with rules written on the pieces, so every piece you pull, you have to do something (give x drinks, take x drinks, various other rules). Good times

Beer Darts - Kind of like lawn darts but the target is a beer can. People sit on lawn chairs in a circle with a can of beer between their feet. Someone on the opposite side throws a dart(the larger wooden metal tipped kind) at someones can. If they hit the can it has to be drank to the hole in the can. Usually played with at least a dozen people.

Beerbee - Equipment needed - one frisbee, two stands about five feet high with a small platfom on top(a pvc pipe works well with a base it slips in to), two plastic 16 OZ beer bottles with a couple inches of liquid in them to keep the wind from blowing them off the platform.

The game is played with two teams of two players, each holding a drink. The frisbee is tossed at the beer bottle on the platform. The other team needs to catch the frisbee, or if the bottle is hit catch the bottle before it hits the ground. They have to stay behind the pole, no intercepting the frisbee in front of the bottle. If the bottle hits the ground they have to drink, if they don't catch the frisbee they have to drink. The bottle hitting the ground is three points, not catching the frisbee is one point. The first team to accumulate 21 points loses.

Played buffalo before, and a variation of drinking jenga.

Tennis sounds fun, Ill have to try that one out.

The Zakk Wylde Drinking Game.

Watch any Black Label Society DVD, or Ozzy (w/ Zakk, obviously) and everyting he hit the artificial harmonic(sqweals) take a drink. You'll be ****ed up in no time.

learned a new one from my roommate last night. he called it scotian flip. everyone involved picks either heads or tails, and whatever you pick is what you stick with for the whole game. someone flips the coin. if its heads, whoever picked heads takes a small sip. the coin is flipped again, and if its heads again, whoever is heads takes a big gulp. the coin's flipped again (this time by somebody who is heads, "flip your fate"), and if heads comes up again, all the heads must finish their drinks. if a tails comes up, then the whole thing starts over, with tails taking a small sip, then a gulp, then chug.

rinse and repeat.

mikebowman said:
A common one that gets thrown around here is called Buffalo. Real simple. If you're caught holding your beer in your dominant hand, someone else can call Buffalo on you, and you've gotta finish your drink. One of the few times in life where it pays to be left handed haha.

You're not in texas, are you? I thought I brought that game from mexico

Clocks- if canned beer is avalible this is how you play. you have a time(any time but noon) and set the beer tab top to that time as if it were a clock. If anyone is caught thoughout the night with there beer not set to the designated time they have to finish thier beer.

another one is the MXC drinking game. Everytime someone falls or fails to do something you drink. You also grink when the announcer says "thats right Ken!"

The title and the photo say it all! Great game!

battleshots.jpg

Battleshots has got to be one of the coolest drinking games of all time. Trivia drinking is good too, pretty simple: pack of trivia cards, or trivial pursuit cards, every time you get a wrong answer, you drink; you can also reverse it: every time you get one right, you drink...

Not really a game for shots though, there is serious potential to get $****faced quick.
Regards, GF.

Viking

Best played when you're already a little buzzed. One person (the viking) puts his fingers up on his head like viking horns (devil horns, bull, whatever). The person on his right pretends to row a canoe on their right hand side, and the person on the viking's left rows on their left. Everyone else beats on the table with their fists and chants "Ho ho ho ho...etc etc" like vikings. The Viking can look around, make faces, dance in place whatever, until he decides the noise is loud enough and points at someone. That person becomes the Viking and immediately throws their fingers up like horns and the people on their sides start rowing to the appropriate side.

Mess it up or take to long to perform your action and you drink!

Get's rowdy pretty quickly, and it a lot of fun.

Back