Drinking beer at 7 in the morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During winter if there is a lot of ice on the ground and I call of work for my crew, there is a Coffee Stout being drank. Saves on energy to cause I don't turn on the coffee pot. I love beer in the morning.

Another 6pm-6am worker checking in. Absolutely I'll have a beer after a 12 hour shift. I do try to keep a tight limit if I'm not done with the week and usually don't drink during the work week, but I've certainly done it.

The worst experience for me was before I was a home brewer and my favorite team was in the playoffs. I had managed to avoid any spoilers. I stop at a gas station on my way home from work but it's still 6:55 and they can't sell beer until 7am. So I'm standing in the gas station waiting for them to unlock the beer coolers, eager to get home and watch the game I had recorded. I felt the need to explain to the attendant that I worked nights and I was going to stay up "late" to watch the game. I even told him I had managed to avoid any spoilers. He looks at me and says "Oh, you're going to stay up to watch the game? Humm. Well..." I guess to him that wasn't a spoiler. Turns out my team lost.

Another 6pm-6am worker checking in. Absolutely I'll have a beer after a 12 hour shift. I do try to keep a tight limit if I'm not done with the week and usually don't drink during the work week, but I've certainly done it.

The worst experience for me was before I was a home brewer and my favorite team was in the playoffs. I had managed to avoid any spoilers. I stop at a gas station on my way home from work but it's still 6:55 and they can't sell beer until 7am. So I'm standing in the gas station waiting for them to unlock the beer coolers, eager to get home and watch the game I had recorded. I felt the need to explain to the attendant that I worked nights and I was going to stay up "late" to watch the game. I even told him I had managed to avoid any spoilers. He looks at me and says "Oh, you're going to stay up to watch the game? Humm. Well..." I guess to him that wasn't a spoiler. Turns out my team lost.

Oh I know that feeling too, I record the St. Louis Cards and I hate it when I accidentally hear a score on the radio news or something.

Yeah I did nights for years. I would have dinner and drinks at 8 or 9 am and bed by noon.

I worked nights for years, and it was always a pleasure to answer the door at 9:00 am for the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons with a beer in hand.

So I didn't think that I was going to get such a response from this post. Just shows you the power of beer. I'm a cop and rotate every 28 days form days to night. So the way I see it I'm doing the same thing you would do if you were working days just at a different time. I have a sergeant who has worked permanent night for 15 yrs he goes home every morning and has a rocks glass of whiskey. He says he sleeps like a baby, and it is one of the reasons he has made it so long on night's.

Good luck and hope you're getting closer to retirement. I retired 3 months ago after working the road my whole career on the police force. Only 22 years but being for a Detroit suburb, felt long enough. When I was on mids, we would go out for beers at 7 am all the time. Nothing beats hot wings and beer at 7 am. Walking out into the bright sunshine hurt though.

I worked nights for years, and it was always a pleasure to answer the door at 9:00 am for the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons with a beer in hand.

A friend of mine known as B.E. got a call from his neighbor in Orange County (CA, Not FL) one day. The friend said, "there's a good-looking brunette working the street, who's gonna knock on your door pretty soon. She has hair halfway down her butt, and she's wearing full war paint including scarlet red lipstick. She's wearing a low-cut blouse, a miniskirt, high heels and fishnet stockings; and she's carrying a Bible.

"She'll ask if she can come in to discuss the Bible with you. When you say 'yes' and back up to let her in, one of the biggest, ugliest, most pimply-faced guys you've ever seen is going to pop out from where he was hiding to one side, and crowd through the door with her."

B.E. thanked him for the heads-up. The young lady eventually knocked on his door and gave her spiel, and he invited her in. When she started through the doorway, he grabbed her hand and yanked her on in - then slammed the door in the face of her goon and locked it.

The guy started yelling and pounding on the door. B.E. stood there glaring at the girl (he had a good glare), and she started crying. After a minute or two of that he said, "you know what, sweetheart? If you don't like the fish you're catching, maybe you should change your bait."

Then he unlocked the door, and stepped aside while she went running out of his house.

7p-7a shifter here, sometimes 7p-11a if i'm really unlucky. We always go to the bar after work on our last day of work for the week or if we don't i'l drink a few beers at my apartment until i go to sleep. I have a lot of days off since I work a lot of hours on the days I do work, and on my days off I try to get a normal sleep schedule and sleep through the night with my girlfriend. So a lot of the times if I wake up at 8am I will crack a beer and not think any harm of it just because that's what I'm used to. No complaints here. But I agree with OP, I always miss my favorite shows and a lot of events I would like to go to.

I have worked 10pm - 8:30am for 4 years now. My favorite part is in the mornings 1st thing I put on my house clothes, (aka pajamas), and sit outside drinking beers. Like most others I get the strange looks.

I suppose to some around me it may look like I drink all the time and never work. The way my schedule is, it rotates so although I'm off 3 days a week, it is different days every week.

pb

I did time as a commercial construction carpenter, 20 years back I'd say. On commercial jobs years ago you usually always had a wire nut, pipe fitter, and nail bender at any time any shift. I often was the double shift nail bender. When doing stores, it didn't take too long to get the checkout gals to recognize the blue, green, yellow or white lids as we lined up at 7:15 AM with a steak and beer to go. I'm glad I was there but I wouldn't want to have to do it again.

Good luck and hope you're getting closer to retirement. I retired 3 months ago after working the road my whole career on the police force. Only 22 years but being for a Detroit suburb, felt long enough. When I was on mids, we would go out for beers at 7 am all the time. Nothing beats hot wings and beer at 7 am. Walking out into the bright sunshine hurt though.

Well unfortunately I have about 20 more years to go..... and then if I do 30 yrs I will only be 49. But the way our state government keeps messing with our retirement system I will probably have to be 65 before I can retire.

I worked nights for a year in the early 90's, in Kirksville, MO. I had just enough time to get home, grab some dinner/breakfast, and get to the Dukkum Inn by their 7:00 AM opening. Nothing like a Black and Tan at 7:00 AM!!

Just got off work and enjoying a DFH Festina peche and salisbury steak and mashed potatoes while everyone else is headed into work. Love it.

I've been off for 2 days, gotta work tonight. I'll start hitting the suds around 10ish. FedX should be here just before I go back too bed. She really gives me some weird looks when she sees me in jammies with a beer in the morning, and today she is delivering 3k rounds of ammo.

I'd love to know her real thoughts right then. :D

pb

I've been off for 2 days, gotta work tonight. I'll start hitting the suds around 10ish. FedX should be here just before I go back too bed. She really gives me some weird looks when she sees me in jammies with a beer in the morning, and today she is delivering 3k rounds of ammo.

I'd love to know her real thoughts right then. :D

pb

That probably depends mostly on the pajamas...:)

Their are all kinds of negatives to working night shift (6 pm to 6 am here). Missing out on family time, all the best tv shows are on in the evening. Thank god for dvr. But one plus is coming home and being able to have a wonderful home brew at 7 in the morning. I came home this morning and cracked open a tasty hefeweizen for breakfast mmmmmm good.

"Break": To make useless, to end. Let's use "end".
"Fast"; In this case, fast would mean a period of not eating.

Breakfast.

Well, during the work day or work night peeps eat a meal and maybe a snack or two and are not fasting.

I'd say when you get home at 7 a.m. it is not "breakfast" for you... :mug:

Last time we were camping with a group of friends I rolled out of my tent in the early AM and went straight to the cooler for an IPA. My wife gives me a look that was somewhere between confusion and discontent and asked "Are you seriously having a beer right now?"

I responded "Well you can't be drunk all day if you don't start in the morning."

She was not very impressed, but I'll be damned if all the other dudes on the trip didn't crack open their own beers within 5 minutes of that conversation.

Last time we were camping with a group of friends I rolled out of my tent in the early AM and went straight to the cooler for an IPA. My wife gives me a look that was somewhere between confusion and discontent and asked "Are you seriously having a beer right now?"

I responded "Well you can't be drunk all day if you don't start in the morning."

She was not very impressed, but I'll be damned if all the other dudes on the trip didn't crack open their own beers within 5 minutes of that conversation.

Did you ask them what took so long?

Back