Drilling a line for an external co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
So I got a GE wmr04gazbb today, but I use a tall 7lb tank that won't fit inside the fridge. So I need to drill a hole to run a line out, but I'm not confident in my ability without advice. Where would be a safe place to put the hole? and what tools will I need to do it?

Also, I don't own a dremel, just a powerdrill(apartment living >_<) any advice on a way to cut the door to fit the second keg?

You could drill the hole practically anywhere on either of the sides without worry.
As for the door. I would remove the seal to see if the molded door shelving could be removed without cutting before I'd take a saw to it.

I stumbled onto a walkthrough that drilled a hole in the back so I suppose I'm gonna imitate the pic.
I havent pulled off the seal on the door but from my reading its glued so cutting it is the only option. not too sure what manual(cheap) tool would work for cutting out the shelving.hmmmm

I have a side by side fridge and want to run a c02 line to my 20lb tank. Can I drill a hole in the side with no worries? I feel that the floor space inside can be better used for another corny. Currently I use my 5lb tank inside but am getting tired of filling.

The diameter of the hole you drill should be the outside diameter of your air line. If there is any space around the tube going through the hole fill it with spray foam insulation ("great stuff" at home depot). A hole saw might be better than a step drill because of the thickness of the side of the fridge. You'll find the outside is a thin steel panel, the inside is a thin plastic panel, and there is foam insulation in between. When using the hole saw, start on one side and get the hole started and the pilot bit through, then from the other side in the pilot hole, finish it from that side. That way you are drilling "in" from both sides and it won't tear out and make a mess when the teeth of the hole saw come through the other side.

For the door question you can replace the plastic panel with plexiglass, or a sheet of whiteboard. I got the idea from other peoples posts. Home depot will cut you a piece to your specs & all you need is a drill to drill the holes for the screws. looks great & you can write what is on tap
-Collin

P.S.
They were off by a few inches, so i traced the door & it's holes & trimmed it. All you need to cut it is a utility knife & it turned out great. You have to buy the whole sheet of whiteboard, but is was only like $16 or somthing totally worth it

I just used a 1/2" drill bit and went down from the top of the compressor hump. Step bit won't have the depth required because of the insulation. Ran lines through and reattached the NPT fittings.

IMG00025-20110207-1804.jpg

Disclaimer: Use common sense and don't drill through something you shouldn't. I could tell where the lines went to the heat exchanger easily and you fridge might be different.

I did mine through the side and put in an MLF Bulkhead here:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_131_574&products_id=10234

This let me drill a small hole and not have to worry about sealing around the lines. I started really small because I was scared to kill the fridge. Not because it's such a quality unit, but because I knew I couldn't replace it very fast. With the small hole, I poked around with the bit to make sure there wasn't a line inside and then went up a few bit sizes at a time until I was at the right size. Because I have a sink next to the fridge side, I ran the gas line along the floor in foam pipe insulation to protect it. The tank is on the freezer side and tucked away nicely.

Make sure you get the little washers too.

Gotcha, yea I need to invest in dry erase board. Anyone have any problems with temperature in a mini-fridge that you have to fight with the freezer compartment/interior coolant lines?

hey, was just googling a fridge i saw on craigslist and wanted to know how many cornies you can fit in this?

edit: found this link that provided some good info on a conversion of this model

Back