Drill Motor Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gswartley

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a grain mill a couple batches ago and right out of the box knew I was not going to use the handle. So I started to use my drill to crush grain, but found a problem with that.

I needed three hands ! ! ! ! !

Trying to hold the drill, the top of the mill so it would not come off the bucket, and poor my grains was almost impossible.

I started to research making a stand. Not finding a motor with the torque I liked I started to do some freestyle thinking and decided a slow speed drill would do what I wanted. After placing my order I saw a thread with the same drill powering a mill, oh well guess my thought was not so original.

Anyway here is my mill stand made from stuff I had on hand with my mill and motor mounted on top.

20120318001e.jpg

20120318002p.jpg

20120318003t.jpg

20120318004.jpg

20120318005.jpg

20120318006.jpg

20120318007.jpg

20120318008.jpg

The 6 gallon carboy was just emptied and the 3 gallon carboy does not get much use.

As for the Corona Bottles I use them to bottle a couple from each batch to check clarity.

The 6 gallon carboy was just emptied and the 3 gallon carboy does not get much use.

As for the Corona Bottles I use them to bottle a couple from each batch to check clarity.

I could put your 3 gallon to use... if only you lived closer lol

Cool i never thought about using clear bottles to check clarity, ive always just poured one

I'm surprised we don't see more Harbor freight drills used in the DIY section. They are cheap and seem like they would be ideal for most of our uses.

I'm gathering parts to build a cake pan pump and plan to use a HF drill with dimmer switch and call it done.

Xtant said:
I'm surprised we don't see more Harbor freight drills used in the DIY section. They are cheap and seem like they would be ideal for most of our uses.

I'm gathering parts to build a cake pan pump and plan to use a HF drill with dimmer switch and call it done.

When I was first starting out I asked about running a dimmer switch on a standard 1/2" drill and got different answers. Some said they'd done it and it was fine, others said it was too much amperage for the switch. Not knocking the idea, just relaying info.

I hadn't really looked into it, until now. There were not any current draw specs on the HF website, so I looked at a Few craftsman drills. The draws on a couple drills I looked at were 6-8 amps or so. Lowes.com has a 10 amp rotary dimmer switch for under $15.

Seems like that would be a motor and controller for about $50.

Nice.

I usually just bribe my friends by giving them a beer and a drill, then telling them when I come back outside, all that grain should be crushed!
:eek:

There's a relationship between roller speed and crush quality is the main reason for people getting motors set up.

what's the bracket you used on the back end of the drill where the handle normally is?

If I had to guess I'd say it's some form of shelving bracket...but you could find something at a big-box store I'm sure. Drill your own hole if need-be.

The bracket on the back of the drill was my first attempt at making a fuel tank bracket for the plane I'm building. I messed up drilling it so it went into the drawer of shame. when this project came about I opened the drawer and it fit the bill.

You thread a bolt with the same thread pattern as the crank bolt...it's usually a hex-head bolt. Then get a hex-socket bit for the drill...can't remember but want to say it's a 5/8" socket. That's how I do it.

phoenixs4r said:
There's a relationship between roller speed and crush quality is the main reason for people getting motors set up.

So what's a desired rpm and what sort of rpm does the one pictured provide?

barrooze said:
So what's a desired rpm and what sort of rpm does the one pictured provide?

~200.

No idea OP will have to chime in on that.

Edit: looks like 500

The drill runs from 0 to 500 RPM.

On the handle of the drill is a Lock for the trigger and a speed control which I use to keep the speed down.

So for it seems to be working well.

How has the harbor freight drill held up? I have heard mixed reviews. All the links to various gear head ac motors on here are old and no longer available. Seems like the sellers of motors on eBay figured out we want them and now you can't find a gear head motor with right RPM and torque for less than $200

The drill does not working very hard. So far I have run about 200 lb thru the mill and the drill performed without a hitch. I'm expecting it to run like that for quite a while.

Just picked up the D handle 10 amp drill from harbor freight tonight. Excited to use it this weekend

Sorry for the late entry, but looking at doing something just like this and had a question for the OP. What are the dimensions of the top shelf where the dirill and mill sit? I have an old metal stand on wheels at work and was wondering if the top shelf was large enough. Thanks!

Picked up my Milland drill and brackets. Going to build everything this weekend. How tall is the stand not including casters?

Could this drill be plugged into a switched outlet?
I want to do this kind of set up but i want to build a box over the drill and mount a switch on top of the box so I can simply flick the switch and crush away.

Back