Drank the airlock water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best way I can describe it is just like ex-lax. Good luck tomorrow morning.

It was something like 2 oz. of water with 5 oz. of bittering hops, kinda gross but I just had to try. I didn't drink it instead of beer, I drank it after beer, and probably because of it too!

That's when you know you're a homebewer when you try to get a secondary mini fermentation going in your airlock and want to sample it.

I usually keep cheap vodka in my airlocks and I definately don't want to drink that.

beerloaf

If that's the case, where has this information been and why haven't I been notified? Don't you guys know who I am? Geesh!

It sounds like you drank the excess which fermented into the air lock; either that or you just got a mouthful of star san.

You can alleviate both the urge to gulp down your airlock dregs as well as not run the risk of ruining an airlock with crusty yeast and beer by using a blow off hose. Just a thought

Ok, it was bottling day and I'd been heavily sampling some of my previous brews (it's the only thing that gets me through bottling). The airlock incident just kinda happened, here's the play-by-play:

1. Consumed multiple beverages in the course of sanitizing bottles, getting priming sugar solution ready, etc...
2. Removed airlock from carboy in order to rack my Centennial IPA into bottling bucket
3. As airlock passed in front of my face on the way from the carboy to the sink one of those evil "I wonder..." thoughts popped into my head
4. Popped little lid off top of airlock and took a sniff, it smelled like the 5 ounces of Centennial that went into the brew
5. Took tentative sip of airlock water, could not get an accurate taste so I had no choice but to swig the whole thing

It really didn't actually taste very bitter at all, it was mostly just "aromatic". There might be something up with my brew water because I rarely ever have violent fermentation and have never needed a blow-off tube, so what I drank was pretty much just an ounce or two of stagnant Centennial odored water. I guess now I get immortality and infinite justice, sweet!

Uuuuhhh,no...what you did is akin to drinking month old bong water. Nasty,but it works. Congratulations,you're now a home brewer. :+)

I keep vodka in my airlock, so I always drink it.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

I keep vodka in my airlock, so I always drink it.

I do the same - the only difference is that I put bottled water in the airlock instead of vodka (I hate its taste). The water sits there for about two weeks, and always has the same funny hoppy taste regardless of the type of beer I brew.

I thought using star San in the airlock after just letting it soak during the duration of the brew was just SOP.....

I have to say, most people I know use Star San too. I think it's much more common that you seem to believe it is.

Indeed, 172 active members is a drop in the bucket, but I figured if 95% of 172 people practiced this, then on average it would be SOP.

I just use filtered tap water in my air locks, but I'd have no problem drinking it if I were thirsty. But why drink air lock water when there is all that beer sitting there below it? Beer, even green beer, tastes way better than air lock water.

I have imbibed my fair share of star San as well while starting a siphon to sanitize lines; I've got to say its not my favorite beverage in the world. I suppose if you like that burning bitter acid taste more power to you.

Can't be as bad as what I read a while back when someone posted that their blow-off tube sucked back.... partially quoted below...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've sucked in a quart of iodophor solution and it was 100% not noticeable, even side-by-side with a second batch of the same recipe that did not suck back. My only concern would be chlorine in the tap water or bacteria. I bet you're fine.

Really.... a quart of iodophor in a 5 gallon batch?

You guys are just being EACs!! One man's trash is another man's treasure.

rancidcrabtree, if you get the chance post your recipe for the Airlock IPA. I'll be doing a full boil with the 2 oz. batch if that matters...:tank:

Alright, the grain bill isn't too important on this one, you just want to end up with an OG of close to 1.070. Hops are all Centennial:

1oz @ 60
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 5
1oz @ 0
1oz @ dry hop

After pitching yeast (type doesn't matter) carefully pour 2oz of filtered brita water into a standard airlock (S shaped wont work) and let brew ferment for 3-4 weeks. 7-10 days before bottling add dry hops, now this is very important, reuse your original airlock water or else you will lose the effect of the first 4oz of hops! On bottling day your airlock IPA will be ready to drink, do whatever you want with the beer...

Back