Draft tower question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVCNick

Reaction score
So my kegerator... literally the cheapest one I could find, on sale, about $370 delivered from Best Buy if I remember correctly. It is "Insignia" brand. Yes, I am familiar with the buy once/cry once philosophy, and often apply it, but didn't in this case. :) I replaced the faucet with a Perlick right away, swapped to better beer line not long after.

Anyhow, as you might guess, the tower leaves something to be desired. It is made out of super flimsy aluminum and plastic, and has one tap, and I imagine is not very well insulated.

I see nice multi-tap, I assume sturdier, towers for sale. But, I can't seem to see for sure in the pictures if the interface on the bottom is the same as mine. Is this likely to be standard, or not so much? Mine has a ~quarter turn slot type engagement, and after that, is held in place with set screws.

It appears that I can get another short shank and hardware, go to work with a hole saw and add another tap or two at least, but wouldn't mind upgrading the tower to something sturdier and better insulated if that is an option.

Yes, the standard towers use twist-lock mounting, but folks have chucked the original towers and fitted new ones with standard mounting flanges.

Here is an example HBT thread on the matter, and here is a search string to find more...

Cheers!

Back