Downtown San Francisco Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melon_convino

Reaction score
Hey I will be in Downtown San Francisco for a week so any suggestion of good breweries there will be appreciate. Thanks

21st Amendment, of course.

Absolutely. I was there back in January. Pretty sweet place and good food. Don't bother with Anchor, they don't have a tap room and tours are booked months and months in advanced. You'd think a brewery, basically the pioneer of the modern craft beer movement, would have a god damn tap room. But nope! Thanks, Anchor!

Thank I will check for that bar, maybe I can found a Hotel close to it. And a visit to 21st Amendment.
Thanks guys

Absolutely. I was there back in January. Pretty sweet place and good food. Don't bother with Anchor, they don't have a tap room and tours are booked months and months in advanced. You'd think a brewery, basically the pioneer of the modern craft beer movement, would have a god damn tap room. But nope! Thanks, Anchor!

Last time I was in town a few of us showed up to Anchor while a tour was in progress, the nice lady at the front desk allowed us to join the group and we got to stand in the room with the bar where they gave us quite a few generous pours of everything they had on tap. We missed most of the tour, but not the best part!

Dang. Sam Adams has over a dozen tours every day and we've never had a problem just showing up and joining the next one. And these are big 100+ people tours, complete with 4+ 6oz samples at the end. Anchor should get their act together.

Dang. Sam Adams has over a dozen tours every day and we've never had a problem just showing up and joining the next one. And these are big 100+ people tours, complete with 4+ 6oz samples at the end. Anchor should get their act together.

Who wants to be on a tour with 100+ people? Not me....

I've been on many tours and several at Anchor although its been a long time, their tour is great and their tasting room was awesome. I much prefer smaller tours, you get a better guide/experience and plenty of time to ask questions.

The anchor tour is well worth it. Normally small groups (6 people) and plenty of samples before and after. I would give them a call and see if there are any cancelations. Are you in sf this week? I know Almanac is hosting a beer fest Friday night. Check online for tickets

Last time I was in town a few of us showed up to Anchor while a tour was in progress, the nice lady at the front desk allowed us to join the group and we got to stand in the room with the bar where they gave us quite a few generous pours of everything they had on tap. We missed most of the tour, but not the best part!

Damn, now that's lucky!

I was out there in June and I second mikkeler bar.

I would also suggest, if you can, doing what my wife and I did. We rented a car for a day, drove out to see the redwoods in muir woods and then drive another 45-50 min north and had dinner at Russian River. The food was great, beers were better than fantastic. Definitely one of the highlights of the trip for us!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413322639.778117.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was in SF back in April. 21st Amendment was fantastic. I called a month and a half in advance about going to Anchor, but they were booked just through the week I was to be there :(

I did visit several craft beer bars mentioned on the Brew Dogs list.. Zeitgeist, Toronado, City Beer Store, and tried to have as much local beer as I could from those places. Toronado had Pliny the Elder, so I'd call that a successful visit.

+1 Russian River, if you can find the time.

Mikkeller's great, and 21A's alright. Cellarmaker is pretty close in, just a straight-up taproom with no food, but they do a lot of interesting brews (single-hop IPA's, funky fusion styles, etc).

Hit up Thirsty Bear near 21st Amendment. Solid beers there. Don't bother with the Beach Chalet. The only thing good is the view.

I went to little Italy and saw the Rogue tap house. Loved the 7 Hop IPA. It was great.

Golden Gate tap was hip and had a great burger with garlic fries. Had 2 pints of Racer-5 IPA on the recommendation of a waiter earlier and it was fantastic!!!

21st Amendment was ok.

Taking the Anchor tour tomorrow.

I love Cellarmaker. There's also Speakeasy, which has a very cool taproom. Don't miss Mikkeller. Also, next to the new Magnolia brewery in Dogpatch is Triple Voodoo. All of these places are worth hitting up.

In the East Bay you will find one of the original brew pubs from the 1980s, Triple Rock, along with The Rare Barrel, Drakes, and the legendary Belgian beer bar, The Trappist. Beer Revolution is also right down the street in Downtown Oakland.

Back