Downsized tell me if this works...please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxtzd3

Reaction score
ok i have downsized from ag set up and keggle to BIAB set up of sorts. heres what i got

7.5 turkey fryer
5 gallon pot
and soon to be bag and pulley from wilserbrewer.

so i will be doing a pale ale i have done before. 12-13 pounds of grain and some 4-5 oz of hops. don't have the recipe on me. i have to figure out how to set up beer smith2 for this as well.

so, with all this i plan on 6.5 gallon of water. grains in for 90. hoist up the sac. sparge to top up to the right pre boil. squeeeeeeeeeze. then normal boil. does this sound right.

ok i have downsized from ag set up and keggle to BIAB set up of sorts. heres what i got

7.5 turkey fryer
5 gallon pot
and soon to be bag and pulley from wilserbrewer.

so i will be doing a pale ale i have done before. 12-13 pounds of grain and some 4-5 oz of hops. don't have the recipe on me. i have to figure out how to set up beer smith2 for this as well.

so, with all this i plan on 6.5 gallon of water. grains in for 90. hoist up the sac. sparge to top up to the right pre boil. squeeeeeeeeeze. then normal boil. does this sound right.

Mashing 13 lbs in 6.5 gallons results in 7.5 gallons AFTER it is all mixed together, This would likely be messy as hell and overflow the pot while you are tryuing to get all the grain in.
http://www.haandbryg.dk/mashcalc.html#mash

I would hold back a gallon. mash in with only 5.5 gallons and then sparge the amount needed using your 5 gallon pot. You can also place or suspend your bag above the brew kettle and gently and slowly pour the sparge water over the bag...

Simply placing a couple of large kitchen utensils across the top rim of the pot is also an option to hold the bag for a pour over sparge This is easy because you just sparge to your preboil volume....sparge can be hot or cold water, the advantage in using hot is that it will not reduce the temp of your wort and shorten the time to reach boil...

Oh and thanks for your purchase....edit I now realize you have the pulley....I find easiest to just sparge slowly and gently through the bag while it is hanging on the pulley, then just let the bag hang and drain as you come to boil.

For maximum efficiency, I would think that dunking the bag in 2-3 gallons sparge water in your 5 gallon kettle would be best, but dunk sparging IMO is more work and not worth the effort to save less than a dollars worth of grain....JMO
cheers!

Mill your grains really fine and your efficiency will go up so you won't need as much grain. Then since your grains are milled fine, you can reduce your mash time too. I usually mash for 20 to 30 minutes and expect about 85% efficiency with a small sparge amount.

I have the same equipment. I typically save about 1.5-2.5 gallons for sparging. I save enough to keep my mash volume, including grains, around 6.8-7 gallons using my calculator in my sig. That way I leave enough volume for mixing thoroughly and minimizing headspace, which helps keep temp better.

cool. i wanted to keep brewing ag without allot of equipment or a whole worth of brewing.

Back