Down Under Hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I'm crafting a all New Zealand/Australian hopped IPA. I'm trying to decide on my hops profile and would appreciate some advice. I'm definitely using Nelson Sauvin...trying to decide on the others.....Pacific Jem & Galaxy are in the running....I mainly can't nail down the bittering hop.....going for a citrus / floral aroma/flavoring thing....looking to do about 70 IBU's at 7%abv.
Thanks.

I did an all NZ hopped IPA I named Maori IPA,after the original inhabitants. I used .4oz pacific gem for bittering. 1.3ozs each of motueka,pacifica & wakatu for flavor @ 20,15 & 12 minutes,respectively. Then dry hopped with the remaining .7ozs of each for 7 days. 60.4 IBU's according to BS2.

I did an all NZ hopped IPA I named Maori IPA,after the original inhabitants. I used .4oz pacific gem for bittering. 1.3ozs each of motueka,pacifica & wakatu for flavor @ 20,15 & 12 minutes,respectively. Then dry hopped with the remaining .7ozs of each for 7 days. 60.4 IBU's according to BS2.

How did it turn out? Were you happy with the Pac gem for the bittering?

According to my notes,bittering was fair to middlin' compared to the numbers BS2 gave me. But the hops had been in the freezer for a year. Fresh hops would be better of course. Flavors were a lot like Sam Adam's Latitude 48 IPA. But with NZ hops tropical fruitiness,a bit of grapefruit on the front toned with lemon,lime & some spicy/herbal qualities as well. The malty contribution will depend on those you're using. Overall,it was pretty good. Different for sure,but good.

According to my notes,bittering was fair to middlin' compared to the numbers BS2 gave me. But the hops had been in the freezer for a year. Fresh hops would be better of course. Flavors were a lot like Sam Adam's Latitude 48 IPA. But with NZ hops tropical fruitiness,a bit of grapefruit on the front toned with lemon,lime & some spicy/herbal qualities as well. The malty contribution will depend on those you're using. Overall,it was pretty good. Different for sure,but good.

Cool. not a big fan of the Lat 48.....but i think I'll give the Pacific gem a shot as a bittering (first wort).........here is what I'm playing with so far:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 11.85 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.23 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.60 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 9.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.12 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 83.3 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.3 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.2 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.2 %
2.00 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 Hop 6 56.1 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 10.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 12 -
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Da Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Looks good to me so far. You could get more aroma from the 0 minute additions @ 3 minutes in my experience.

Personally,I'd use 1 to 1.5ozs of each flavor hop for dry hopping. And to split hairs,since you're dry hopping for lots of aroma,you don't really need the boil hop aroma additions. Just dry hop with'em instead for 7-10 days. 7 days is typical.

Be careful with Galaxy. It's a pretty dominating flavor and aroma hop. I subbed an ounce into my pale ale in place of another hop and it took over.

Edit: Awesome hop though. I worked at a brewery that had a galaxy hopped pale ale, which is all I thought about when I introduced the galaxy into my pale. Not what I wanted lol.

Be careful with Galaxy. It's a pretty dominating flavor and aroma hop. I subbed an ounce into my pale ale in place of another hop and it took over.

Edit: Awesome hop though. I worked at a brewery that had a galaxy hopped pale ale, which is all I thought about when I introduced the galaxy into my pale. Not what I wanted lol.

OK, cool. what sort of flavor / aroma did you get with the Galaxy? when and how much did you add them? I really don't want them to outshine the Nelson Sauvin's as they are in one of my favorite IPA's.

I didn't use galaxy,but it's said to give citrus & passion fruit flavors & aromas. I suspect the citrus would be the most pronounced.

This is very close to what I did...no bittering addition though, just upped all the other additions to get to the IBUS...turned out great

Did a galaxy only IIPA that was awesome as well. I basically worked my way through all the NZ hops this winter. Just have nelson left to do, probably a wheat

Yeah,it was a good beer. A bit different flavors due to the hops used. More of a tropical IPA to put it that way...:rockin:

Back