Douple IPA - Two Week Turnaround

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I have a 1.080 OG Double IPA in the fermenter and I would really like to have it ready to drink by this Sunday (15 days post brew). I have brewed the recipe before and typically give it 3 weeks in the fermenter. I have read lots of discussion regarding what a good 2 week beer is and a high gravity double IPA is not it. I am confident that fermentation will be well complete as I pitched a large starter of WLP 090 with plenty of O2.

I would plan to cold crash it Friday AM and then keg Saturday AM in order to be ready to drink on Sunday afternoon.

What do I risk in rushing this process? Off flavors? Or is the there a lot of unwarranted worry in rushing beers that are clearly fermented out?

I have a 1.080 OG Double IPA in the fermenter and I would really like to have it ready to drink by this Sunday (15 days post brew). I have brewed the recipe before and typically give it 3 weeks in the fermenter. I have read lots of discussion regarding what a good 2 week beer is and a high gravity double IPA is not it. I am confident that fermentation will be well complete as I pitched a large starter of WLP 090 with plenty of O2.

I would plan to cold crash it Friday AM and then keg Saturday AM in order to be ready to drink on Sunday afternoon.

What do I risk in rushing this process? Off flavors? Or is the there a lot of unwarranted worry in rushing beers that are clearly fermented out?

Well right off the bat, are you going to be able to carbonate in 24 hours..?

Also, I have found huge differences in malt/hop balance from weeks two to three. Your beer will certainly be drinkable, but I have a feeling it's going to taste a little...green?

and with such a high starting gravity, I would question how it would taste after only two weeks...You would still want the yeast to clean up after fermentation. But that's just me.

Carbing in the keg shouldn't be an issue. I would just put it straight into the keg and crash there. You can crash and chill at the same time. Force carb, and just watch that first pour, as it will have a lot of yeast and whatnot. This is what I do. you will still have a little yeast in the bottom of the keg, but it will stay there until you kick it.

Has it dropped clear yet? If yes, I would transfer it to the keg to start the cooling and carbonation process as soon as possible. If fermentation is finished there's no point it waiting until Saturday to keg. I suppose by drinking it very early it's possible to have some harsh bite from the hops... but you won't know until you try it.

Has it dropped clear yet? If yes, I would transfer it to the keg to start the cooling and carbonation process as soon as possible. If fermentation is finished there's no point it waiting until Saturday to keg. I suppose by drinking it very early it's possible to have some harsh bite from the hops... but you won't know until you try it.

I think I will give it a go.

How did this turn out? I'm brewing a double black ipa right now, and I am considering kegging it early in order to enter it into a competition (specialty category, but aside from srm and slight presence of roastiness, I would like for it to be generally representative of the IIPA style). Were there any elements of flavor or appearance that distracted from the style?

Back