Dough In - Add Grains Or Water 1st To MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montanaandy

Reaction score
With my first AG batch this past weekend I added the grains 1st as per Palmer ("You want to add the water to the grain not the other way around") since I have used his book as my initial guide back into the brewing process. However I have also come across other posts/threads/videos on this board and other places that advocate adding the strike water first and then adding the grains ("Once you reach your ideal strike temp, dough in..."). Does it matter which way the strike is done (grains with temp adjusted strike water added or temp adjusted strike water with grains added)? Thanks, Montanaandy.

People do it both ways, and each side can make passionate reasons why they do it. Like so much in brewing they both make beer. So they are both right. Ultimately the choice will have to be up to you, and your process.

I add water first. I find it's easier fro me to stir the grain into the water a little at a time, to keep dough balls from forming. I start stirring the water and, then pour the grains in. Stirring constantly. It's easier with help.

I think water to grains leaves less floaters and saturates better, but temp calculations are thrown off by pouring water through air of an unknown temperature.

I'm not sure if it matters but i always add the grains to the strike water. I do this because i put the water in my MLT a few degrees warmer than my strike temp and let the temp come down on its own. The temp always seems to drop a little due to heat absorbtion from the MLT. this way i make sure that the strike temp is always exactly what Beersmith says. This makes it easier for me to hit my mash temps. Also adding the grains after the water makes it easier to dough in by adding a third of the grains and then mixing, then another third, mix, etc...

Thats just how i do it and it always seems to work for me. Good luck and have fun

Schwind

I urgently hope that someone posts some dense, science-based rationale for doing it one way over the other. Bonus points for using the phrase "heat loss per mass".

Thanks for all of the responses. Glad to know that there is no "right or wrong way". Montanaandy

I do water first to pre-heat the MLT while I wait for the water to drop to strike temperature.

+1 To this. If I'm a few degrees too high I'll pour in maybe a cup or so of cool water to get it down to proper strike temp.

I'll usually pour about a third of the grain in at a time, stirring each time to make sure everything gets nice 'n' wet.

I'm not sure if it matters but i always add the grains to the strike water. I do this because i put the water in my MLT a few degrees warmer than my strike temp and let the temp come down on its own. The temp always seems to drop a little due to heat absorbtion from the MLT. this way i make sure that the strike temp is always exactly what Beersmith says. This makes it easier for me to hit my mash temps. Also adding the grains after the water makes it easier to dough in by adding a third of the grains and then mixing, then another third, mix, etc...

Thats just how i do it and it always seems to work for me. Good luck and have fun

Schwind

Exactly! Exactly (10 characters)

I made this 10G/38Lmash tun probably 15yrs ago and it has graduated volume markings (which can be seen on the right) in liters and gallons. So, I add the water first mainly because I know how much water is in it. I've just brewed my first batch in it since returning to brewing.

DSC_1274.jpg

Since this is your first AG, do it exactly how Palmer spelled it out.

Meh... On second thought, either one will work. FWIW, I do a little of one and a little of the other. Some times I add water first, the other times grain first.

I've never believed in this shocking the grains with the hot water business. It is either cold grain meet hot water or hot water meet cold grain. I figure avoid the doughballs and RDWHAHB.

I always put the water in first thinking that if you try pouring water onto a powder you'll get a big poof of powder in you face.

Now I have no idea if that same thing would happen with the milled grain or not, considering it's heavier than a powder, but I figured there was no reason testing it.

Since this is your first AG, do it exactly how Palmer spelled it out.

Meh... On second thought, either one will work. FWIW, I do a little of one and a little of the other. Some times I add water first, the other times grain first.

I've never believed in this shocking the grains with the hot water business. It is either cold grain meet hot water or hot water meet cold grain. I figure avoid the doughballs and RDWHAHB.

Yeah, I agree, doughballs really suck, and I'm really into the RDWHAHB part.:D

I always put the water in first thinking that if you try pouring water onto a powder you'll get a big poof of powder in you face.

Now I have no idea if that same thing would happen with the milled grain or not, considering it's heavier than a powder, but I figured there was no reason testing it.
This may be the biggest difference. When you dump the grains into the water you get a big poof of lacto-infested dust but if you carefully add the water to the grain you can reduce the dust.

I dump grain into water but I carry the whole mash tun out to the garage to dough-in just to keep that poof of dust out of the house.

This may be the biggest difference. When you dump the grains into the water you get a big poof of lacto-infested dust but if you carefully add the water to the grain you can reduce the dust.

I dump grain into water but I carry the whole mash tun out to the garage to dough-in just to keep that poof of dust out of the house.

I got a major facefull last time, and that was pouring grain onto water.

Grain into water for me, but that is cause I have a fired MLT with a false bottom that I heat the water in there anyway.... I guess if I didn't have a reason, I'd probably still do it that way... seems (qualitatively) like it would be less stirring effort....

Schwind

I do the same. I add brewing salts to the water, stir until I hit my strike temp then add grains. Since going to this method I've been hitting my mash temps.
(Forgot to add, I use a 60qt cooler for my mash tun)

Grain to water for me. I use a turkey frier for my mash kettle and I heat the water to mash in temperatures. I heat to about 15 - 18 degrees beyond my desired mash temperature to account for cooling when I add the grain. I then add the grain carefully to avoid dough balls and then adjust temperature as needed by heating or cooling. Just an FYI, our local regional brewery adds grain to water in their mash and they are making 100 bbl batches.

Dr Malt :mug:

Back