Double Whoops Last Night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iloman

Reaction score
Bottling my second brew, the wife and I had a few fun goofs she told me I should share.

Goof number 1. Siphoned the beer from the Secondary to the Bottling Bucket. Since we were bottling to some of those metal 1 gallon cans that look like kegs (Heineken and a few others offer these in the grocery stores now) we started with the first of two to be followed by the bottles. Mostly filled the first one AAANNNND......realized I forgot to put in the priming sugar! We ended up dumping the beer back in, adding the boiled sugar, and hoping for the best :p

Goof number 2. Half way through bottling and puting the caps on I realized something didn't look quite right with some of the caps. I inspected the empty bottles as I filled them and handed them off, and discovered a screw top in the batch. HEY! How'd that get in there? HEY! Those funny looking ones are the same bottles! Doah!!

Those few screw tops got emptied into normal bottles, again hoping for the best.

Otherwise I sampled a bit and it tasted very drinkable, if a little weak on grain flavors. I'll be excited to try one in a few weeks. :rockin:

Jason

You learn a little each time it seems. I have always put the sugar solution in the bottom of the bottling bucket before transfering. That way I don't forget. The first time I bottled I put the wand in one of the bottles and went to grab a few more and when I turned around the dang thing was overflowing all over the counter.

Back