Double the brew?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulsh72

Reaction score
So has anyone ever brewed 2 batches simultaneously using 2 separate systems?

I have heard of using an extra cooler and mashing about the same time (one biab, one in the cooler) then boiling one after the other, but I am talking about complete simultaneous brews.

I recently built my ebiab all electric kettle and have brewed one batch with it. I also still have my old turkey fryer setup. My plan is to make an AG batch in the ebiab kettle and make an extract batch in the turkey fryer at the same time. Since the ebiab setup is a lot more hands off, I can keep an eye on both and make twice as much beer!:rockin:

Anyone ever try this? How did it work out?

It all sounds great until the "Double" boil.

2 burners and propane?

I think that is why more people do back to back, not 1/2 the time, but closer to 75% with double the beer.

If you've got the equipment, go for it. I still recommend staggering it so you're not trying to make simultaneous ingredient additions, and moreso, so you're staggering the cooling periods.

Unless you have two chillers, you won't be able to cool simultaneously.

Yes I have done it. We staggered 3 10 gallon set ups(and started the first one done again) to brew ~40 gallons the other weekend to partially fill a barrel, it went shockingly smooth.

I would recommend staggering the batches to make it easier, and because you probably only have one chiller.

What I don't understand is why you'd want an extract beer around when you can make AG beer.

Dad and me brewing in the same shop at the same time (same recipe) count? If so happens all the time, well when we run out of beer at the same time. If you wanna count before my brother moved way off there were times 3 5 gallon batches being brewed at times.

What I don't understand is why you'd want an extract beer around when you can make AG beer.

WTF dude?

Did you grow the grain? At some point we are ALL standing on the shoulders of giants.

Having gone from extract to AG and back again, I can say that I make award winning extract beer.

WTF dude?

Did you grow the grain? At some point we are ALL standing on the shoulders of giants.

lol. What an out of context question and misplaced phrase.

All grain beer made by the same brewer with similar processes is better than an extract beer. period.

You can say all the nicey nice stuff you want about it but it doesn't make extract beer as good as AG beer.

If someone wants to brew extract, more power to them, it doesn't affect me or change my opinion of them.

He has clearly made the decision to brew AG,for whatever reason...why would he want to have a lesser quality beer to drink.

Plus he could always do a double AG day, by using his ebiab set up as a mash tun for his other pot. Then start a second mash as soon as he gets his other pot boiling. Which would build the staggered time into the process that a few of us have advocated.

You should do this BTW, OP.

Did you grow the grain?

Way OT,
I'm growing hops now. Gonna try 3 acres of barley next year and see if I can grow it and grow enough for a few batches. Been growing 1 acre of sorghum for a few years making "molasses" for personal use.

Yes I understand not everybody lives on a ranch or farms already.

Way OT,
I'm growing hops now. Gonna try 3 acres of barley next year and see if I can grow it and grow enough for a few batches. Been growing 1 acre of sorghum for a few years making "molasses" for personal use.

Yes I understand not everybody lives on a ranch or farms already.

Right, but when you DO grow your own you aren't gonna go into a thread on one thing and randomly bring up "Why do you brew with storebought grain when you could grow?"

Xpertskir you are flat out wrong.

All grain beer made by the same brewer with similar processes is better than an extract beer. period. .

A member of our club (which has a Midwest brewer of the year award winner, multiple NHC medal winners, and a GABF winner) brews only extracts and wins medals with his beers, consistently. He has also won a NHC medal. You cannot tell his beers from all-grain beers.

Right, but when you DO grow your own you aren't gonna go into a thread on one thing and randomly bring up "Why do you brew with storebought grain when you could grow?"

Xpertskir you are flat out wrong.

Personally I could care less where the ingredients come from if the beer is good. I'm doing it because I can and cheap. If it costs a dollar more to grow than buy I'm done growing. Also lazy, growing that much is a good bit of work.

The point was to make twice as much beer in the same amount of time WITHOUT staggering batches and without extending the brew day. The reason to do AG and extract is to stagger boils but get both batches done in the same amount of time.

I plan to boil the extract while heating and mashing the AG. I can use steeping grains while heating up from cold to 170.

I'll cool the extract batch with my IC while heating and boiling the AG. Then finish the AG as normal.

I have my process down pretty good with AG, so I should be able to pull off a good extract batch with good ingredients and solid brewing skills. I am not settling; I'm doubling my beer goodness :rockin:

I'll post back and let everyone know how it goes...I just have to get the timing down...

Yes I have done it. We staggered 3 10 gallon set ups(and started the first one done again) to brew ~40 gallons the other weekend to partially fill a barrel, it went shockingly smooth.

I would recommend staggering the batches to make it easier, and because you probably only have one chiller.

Mission accomplished!
5.5 hours.
2 batches.
11 gallons of wort.
6 gallon AG lime citra wheat and 5 gallons extract orange wheat.
That includes zesting, setup, and cleanup!

I'm probably going to do this in the future whenever I brew and have room in the fermenters.
I'll try and post a timeline in a new thread.

Back