Double Smoked Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soma

Reaction score
I'm putting together a recipe for a strong smoked porter, and I'm trying to determine how much Rauchmalt to use. Any advice on this grain bill?

8lbs German Rauchmalt (47.1%)
3lbs 2-Row (17.6%)
3lbs Munich (17.6%)
1lb Carapils (5.9%)
1lb Crystal 40L (5.9%)
1lb Chocolate (5.9%)

OG 1.084

I think yours looks good depending on the amount of smoke you're trying to achieve. With Rauchmalt, you can pretty much add as much as you want. If you find a great rauchbier recipe you like, start there...then add in some chocolate malt/roasted barley in place of some of the rauchmalt in order to darken it up & add the roasty/chocolate flavors you look for in a traditional porter. Also, the higher the OG, the more smoked malt you'll want to add in order for the smoke to come through...or add a touch of peat smoked malt since that can be pretty intense even in small quantities.

Personally, I like to experiment with combining smoked malts because you can get very unique flavors that way. I have an Imperial Smoked Porter that I've yet to brew with this grain bill (1.100 OG)...

- 9 lbs 2-row (45%)
- 5 lbs Rauchmalt (25%)
- 2.5 lbs Cherrywood Smoked Malt (12.5%)
- 1.75 lbs Chocolate (8.8%)
- 1 lb Crystal 80 (5%)
- .5 lb Peat Smoked (2.5%)
- .25 lb Roasted Barley (1.2%)

I like my porters & smoked beers to finish on the drier side, so I didn't use any Munich, which should add a rich flavor to yours. I just brewed a smoked rye, so unfortunately I doubt I'll get to this one until that's gone.

Latest posts

Back