Double IPA Double Simcoe IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this using nugget for the bittering additions and simcoe for the middle and late additions. After 7 days in primary, I took a gravity reading and taste. It was at 1.022, and was the best beer I had ever tasted after this short of a time. I was trying to rush this beer through for a holiday beer exchange, and tasting, and since the gravity was so low, I decided to dry hop with the two ounces of simcoe after 7 days. Well, I took another reading at two weeks and it was still at 1.022, which does not bother me too much because I did mash at the 158 temp, which does not give as many fermentables. However, it had a really strong catty taste. I am assuming this is from the dry hop, because this taste was not there at the one week mark, and I know simcoe can give this kind of taste, but just from a dry hop? I also know hop flavor can change after just a couple of days when carbonating in a keg. Has anyone else experienced this, and has the recipe mellowed out over time?

a

Update. After two and a half days of force carbonating, the catty taste went to citrus. I was hoping for this. I bottled using the Biermuncher counter pressure bottle filler, (we don't need no stinking beer gun), and on day 18, had the tasting and beer exchange. I filled the bottles the night before, and filled a 32 oz. Grolsch style flip top, the morning of the exchange, to be used for the tasting. The taste had mellowed out even more, turning from catty to citrus. It still had the bitterness, maybe it will turn a little too sweet over time, but once again I mashed at 158. One thing I will say, this is the clearest beer that I have had out of a keg this early, on day 12, I cold crashed for two days, and this beer really cleared up. I did use a sanitized nylon mesh hop bag on my autosiphon to keep the dry hop material out, maybe that helped a lot.

So for 2 long painstaking months I have let this sweet nectar sit and condition in kegs. We tapped it last night and the reception was one of winning a gold medal at the olymipcs. We dubbed it "Liquid Gold" I will be brewing this asap again! Oh, btw..abv: 8.6%! Mmmm

so quick question, I want to brew this beer as I have everything except the right yeast.
I do have 2 viles of WLP007 would they work as good as the whitbread?

I think so, I recently brewed the same recipe, but used all Mosaic hops. This beer was beyond belief, I am going to bottle some of it and enter some comps, it's that good

I've got a pound of wet Simcoe coming in today and want to brew a big IPA to showcase the hops, looks like this would be a good choice. Couple questions?

Do I need to scale the hop additions for fresh hops? This is my first fresh hop brew.

How long will fresh hops keep? If I brew with these tomorrow will my fresh hops still be OK to dry hop with in a couple weeks?

I think so, I recently brewed the same recipe, but used all Mosaic hops. This beer was beyond belief, I am going to bottle some of it and enter some comps, it's that good

I brewed an all Mosaic pale ale back in July that is at it's peak right now. I'm still a newbie, about 10 brews behind me, but this is probably my favorite beer I've brewed.

Do I need to scale the hop additions for fresh hops? This is my first fresh hop brew.
How long will fresh hops keep? If I brew with these tomorrow will my fresh hops still be OK to dry hop with in a couple weeks?

I never used fresh hops but I would not scale them down.

and like any hop I would store them in the freezer to keep them fresh

I never used fresh hops but I would not scale them down.

and like any hop I would store them in the freezer to keep them fresh

Thanks for the reply. I did some research after posting and it looks like you need about 5X by weight of fresh hops as pellets due to the water weight in fresh hops.

There were a lot of opinions on it, anywhere from 2X to 20X the weight, but it seems like 5X was about the average.

I've been having alot of fun with this recipe. Using the malt base, I try different single hop versions each time I brew it and it always turns out delicious! So far I've done Galaxy, Sorachi Ace, Mosaic and most recently German mandarin and hull melon with some magnum to get the bittering up. Really unique with those german hops very sweet fruity nose and malty slight citrus taste. This is a great recipe to get to know different hops.

I've been having alot of fun with this recipe. Using the malt base, I try different single hop versions each time I brew it and it always turns out delicious! So far I've done Galaxy, Sorachi Ace, Mosaic and most recently German mandarin and hull melon with some magnum to get the bittering up. Really unique with those german hops very sweet fruity nose and malty slight citrus taste. This is a great recipe to get to know different hops.

what's your favorite?

I'd say the Galaxy version was my favorite so far. Only had a couple bottles of the latest with the fruity german hops, still a little flat but it is also quite nice. Might just be the winner as I get more acquainted with it! Thinking an Amarillo version next time I brew it as well.

When is the best time during the boil to add the dextrose? I am going to try this recipe this week but have never used dextrose in my beers. Any help is appreciated.

Greg

Well I just bought a pound of Simcoe a couple weeks ago and now I know what Ill be doing with it. Can't wait for this one. Any one have a good fermentation temp for this one?

I always add the dextrose right after collecting my hot liquor from my mash. Before I boil the beer. Just how I do it. Not saying I'm right of there is a right or wrong way. I know a lot of people who add at last 10 min. I check my gravity and volume. Then add my dextrose stir and heat to a boil. Then hops and cool as normal. Never had any off flavors and beer always turns out perfect. Love the way the dextrose brings my FG down around 1.000 or 1.010 works mint

brewing this up in a few hours when I get home from work any additional tips other than the following?

1. 60 Minute Mashing at 153
2. 90 Minute Boil w/ OP Hop Addition Times & Corn Sugar Addition at last 10 minutes
3. Ferment at 67
4. Age in keg for 14 days at 60 degrees

brewing this up in a few hours when I get home from work any additional tips other than the following?

1. 60 Minute Mashing at 153
2. 90 Minute Boil w/ OP Hop Addition Times & Corn Sugar Addition at last 10 minutes
3. Ferment at 67
4. Age in keg for 14 days at 60 degrees

Dry hop for 7 days. Also, get yourself some iodine to test the mash for conversion. You may get conversion in less than 60 mins at that temp.

I personally would go with a 148F maybe max 150F on the mash. I like to get a little better attenuation. 153F would just be too sweet.

Brew day went well. Nailed the OG of 1.078. I mashed in with 9 gallons in my converted Sanke keg w/ false bottom (since I do BIAB no sparge method). Mashed at 154 for 45 minutes then mashed out to 170 for last 15 minutes. Just couldn't dial in that 153 that I wanted with my system set up. I run a constant re circulation through my pump during the mash with the burner on very very low to maintain a steady temp. I lifted the bag and squeezed like crazy and ended up with 8.5 preboil. Boiled for 90 and got all my hop, sugar and whirfloc additions in at the right times. Cooled to about 72 and dumped in 6 into the fermenter with the Wyeast 1099 after starting it a couple days before brew day and cold crashing it/decanting before pitching. The yeast took right off and was bubbling like crazy that night already. Got it settled into the ferm chamber at a steady 68 next to the Heady Topper clone. Can't wait til this one finishes out and update everyone. If anyone has a similar system set up to mine let me know and I can give you more details in my brew day for this one and what my specific gravities were at specific minute marks just so you can know where you need to be at, at what times since I nailed this OG at 1.078. Thanks for this recipe thewurzel. I love to find good 6 gallon size batch recipes knowing that after all my losses i will be getting a solid 5 into my kegs.

BeerSmith is well worth the $25 or whatever and can scale it to any size for you :)

Glad to hear it went well! I'm brewing a Victory DirtWolf clone tomorrow. Only live about 30 mins from Victory but it's for my buddy's wedding and he requested it despite my arguing.. :)

I plan on brewing this Sunday and picked up my supplies in Portland today while driving through. I forgot to pick up the 1099 yeast, any issue with using dry US-05 instead? Or I do have some Wyeast 1056 I could make a starter with if you think that's better.

Thoughts?

RP

I got my ingredients for this one again today. My first one is dry hopping right now for another four days. My next attempt will be a ten gallon with a combo of cluster and buzz bullets. Im gonna call it "cluster f@*€k of a shoot out". I'll post my first pull of my keg once I get my first attempt at this carbed.

Kegged this one lastnight and I just can't possibly wait 14 days for this one so I got it sitting on gas right now so it's ready for this weekend for my brother-in-law and his wife. Came very close to hitting the FG and it settled in at a 1.023 instead of 1.022 from a spot on OG of 1.078 so its a 7.22% ABV. The dry hopping on this one REALLY took this to a whole nother awesome level. My sample I took for the FG reading last night smelled and tasted amazing. Can't wait for Saturday when it's carbed and cold! I will be doing this same 11 gallon batch recipe again on Saturday with the bro-in-law with the variation of Buzz Bullets and Cluster hops. I'll keep posting my progresses.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1430012106.684189.jpg
Damn good stuff. Really mellowing out nicely. Had a little bite to it at first once it was first all carbed and ready to drink but I'm chalking that up to me not waiting the 14 days in the keg at 60 degrees. I can't wait for my buzz bullets/cluster version to finish up. I may be entering that one in a competition.

What's the purpose of the 90 minute boil vs 60? It doesn't seem like the simcoe addition at 90 minutes has much IBU difference as the one at 60, so if that's the reason why not just move the 90 to 60 and save a half hour? Is there another reason?

This is the wrong place to discuss this in detail. We don't want to hijack the thread but since the question is about adjusting the recipe here are my thoughts. Brulosophy did some work on the question of 90 vs 60 min boil. Their conclusion was that as long as one adjusts the preboil gravity of the wort and adjusts for boil off rate to arrive at the same post boil volume and gravity you are shooting for that the extra 30 minutes of boil time did not have a significant effect on flavor. There was some thought that if one used a very strong burner and a kettle with very good temperature conductance, like copper, that the longer boil might caramelize some sugars and change flavors. My take on that is caramelizing sugars is dependent on the sugars reaching temperatures higher than most of us are capable of attaining with our equipment. Flavor changes seem to be temperature dependent more that boil time dependent. Those temperature differences happen during the malting process. Brulosophy has had success with 30 minute boils. I think this stuff makes some of the old timers nervous as it questions long held opinions.

If you do not adjust anything and boil the same wort for 90 minutes vs 60 minutes you will get a significant difference because the post boil gravity of the two will be different.

Back