Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakimal

Reaction score
Brewing a double ipa (true brew kit)! I'm dry hopping today as direction says after three days of fermentation! Then directions say continue fermentation for 7 days after dry hopped! Then I bottle, and let it sit for three weeks. My question is, the last couple times I brewed I always siphoned into carboy for 2nd fermentation! Is this a must do? Or I'm I bugging out as a new brewer and stick to the direction?

There are people who do it both ways (dry hop in the primary, or rack to secondary). There are pros and cons. If you are not planning on washing and reusing the yeast, then absolutely you can do it in the primary if you want to. The one time I dry-hopped, I did it in the primary, and the beer is awesome, but I didn't like having both the kettle hops and the dry hops in my way during bottling (they were leaf hops, not pellet, because that's what was available to me) and will probably rack to a secondary if I do it again. But it's not strictly necessary.

Bottom line: Do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable! :mug:

My usual process is about a week in the primary, rack to secondary for an additional 7-10 days, then dry hop for 10 days. After that, bottle. My beers so far using this pattern have been outstanding and beyond my expectations.

Back