double ipa recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
I have started writing my own recipes and I wares to get thoughts on how this will turn out or if there is too Much of a certain grain.

14.5 lbs 2 row
1lb Munich
1lb crystal 40
1lb corn sugar
.5lb carapils

1oz Columbus at 60
1oz galaxy at 60
1oz simcoe at 40
1oz citra at 20
1oz galaxy at 15
1oz Columbus at 10
1oz simcoe at 5
1oz citra at 0

Ferment at 66 to 68 with WLP 090

I want to dry hop but not sure with what or how much

I think this looks good. You can stick to the cooler side for the fermentation.

Grains: what's the calculated OG from that? You could consider splitting the crystal into 20 and 40 or 40 and 60 for a bit more depth. Nothing wrong with this though. The use of the pound of sugar is a definite plus.

Hops: I would try to shift your hop profile a little more toward late additions. It's hard to taste any difference above a "theoretical" 100 IBUs, so you get more bang for your buck by using a ton of flavor and aroma additions. So I think the Galaxy at 60 and Simcoe at 40 should both be moved later (20 minutes or less in the boil). As for dry hopping, if you want to be extreme, you could use up to 6 oz in dry hops. But I tend to be a little fearful about getting vegetable kinds of tastes from dry hopping, so I would recommend adding 3 oz at whirlpool, and maybe another 2-3 oz of dry hops. As for varieties, experimenting is fine. Use whatever you have already.

Skip the crystal malts in an IPA or IIPA recipe. According to Mitch Steele, "minimizing use of crystal malts in IPA, [which] adds a level of sweetness and malt intensity that [can] kind of mask the hop character … as the beer ages, the crystal malt immediately turns into that dried raisin, fruit character which really knocks the hop character down."

Your hop schedule is kind of a mess. What are you shooting for?
Why two different bittering hops?
Why an addition at 40 mins?

The Columbus at 10 may or may not compliment the flavor and aroma of the citra and simcoe.

Here's what I would do:

- pick a clean-tasting, high AA% bittering hop and stick with it. Most of your IBU's come from this charge.
- add a lot of late addition/flameout hops.
- use no more than three kinds of hops and pick ones whose flavors complement each other. Don't use a dank hop (columbus) and a citrusy hop like Citra together.
- consider doing a hopstand - letting the wort sit for 30 minutes after flameout at 160. This increases hop flavor and aroma.

Definitely dry hop it. Use whatever hops you used for late additions.

Something like:

1.5 oz of Columbus(or Simcoe) @60
1.5 oz of Citra @15
1.5 oz of Simcoe @15
2.0 oz of Citra @1
2.0 oz of Simcoe @1

Then dry hop with 1.5oz each of Citra and Simcoe.

Plug the recipe into beersmith and tweak the recipe until you get the IBUs (and IBU:OG ratio) where you want it to be.

Also, you didn't say anything at all about your mash profile. I like my IIPA's dry and not malty, so I do long mashes (90-120) in the high 140's but if you like malty IIPA's then a 60 minute mash at 152 is probably what you want. I don't think I would mash any higher for a hoppy beer.

Skip the crystal malts in an IPA or IIPA recipe. According to Mitch Steele, "minimizing use of crystal malts in IPA, [which] adds a level of sweetness and malt intensity that [can] kind of mask the hop character … as the beer ages, the crystal malt immediately turns into that dried raisin, fruit character which really knocks the hop character down."

Your hop schedule is kind of a mess. What are you shooting for?
Why two different bittering hops?
Why an addition at 40 mins?

The Columbus at 10 may or may not compliment the flavor and aroma of the citra and simcoe.

Here's what I would do:

- pick a clean-tasting, high AA% bittering hop and stick with it. Most of your IBU's come from this charge.
- add a lot of late addition/flameout hops.
- use no more than three kinds of hops and pick ones whose flavors complement each other. Don't use a dank hop (columbus) and a citrusy hop like Citra together.
- consider doing a hopstand - letting the wort sit for 30 minutes after flameout at 160. This increases hop flavor and aroma.

Definitely dry hop it. Use whatever hops you used for late additions.

Something like:

1.5 oz of Columbus(or Simcoe) @60
1.5 oz of Citra @15
1.5 oz of Simcoe @15
2.0 oz of Citra @1
2.0 oz of Simcoe @1

Then dry hop with 1.5oz each of Citra and Simcoe.

Plug the recipe into beersmith and tweak the recipe until you get the IBUs (and IBU:OG ratio) where you want it to be.

Also, you didn't say anything at all about your mash profile. I like my IIPA's dry and not malty, so I do long mashes (90-120) in the high 140's but if you like malty IIPA's then a 60 minute mash at 152 is probably what you want. I don't think I would mash any higher for a hoppy beer.

I want 121 ibus for personal reasons I know it's not really needed though. I was going to mash at 150 for 60 min but maybe I'll change that to 90 now. I will also switch to 2oz Columbus at 60 min. I may also move my 40min down to 30min.

I have never done a hop stand but this is prolly the beer to do it with.

Also I plan of fermenting and then kegging so I don't think the crystal will be a problem but what would you suggest instead. I want the really nice orange color

I'm pretty sure Mitch Steele ferments and kegs so his advice is still relevant.
You already have a pound of Munich. That will give it plenty of amber color. So will Caramunich if you have it available to you. You already have a half pound of carapils, leave that in there. The corn sugar will also dry it out a bit.

Again it depends on what you're going for. If you want a drier IPA that doesn't have a lot of malt character, then the grain bill isn't as important. Victory is going to add some toasty, biscuity flavors to the malt profile. For a sweeter IPA, that might be what you're going for. I recommend that you experiment, and experiment some more. Figure out what kind of beer you want to make and tailor the recipe towards it.

So the new recipe is

15.5 lbs 2 row
1lb Munich
1lb corn sugar
.5lbs carapils

2oz Columbus 60min
1oz simcoe 30min
1oz galaxy 15min
1oz citra 0min
1oz simcoe hop stand
1oz citra hop stand

WLP. 090

Dry hop 2oz simcoe 5 days
Dry hop 2oz citra 5 days

Mash at 150 for 90min

So the new recipe is

15.5 lbs 2 row
1lb Munich
1lb corn sugar
.5lbs carapils

2oz Columbus 60min
1oz simcoe 30min
1oz galaxy 15min
1oz citra 0min
1oz simcoe hop stand
1oz citra hop stand

WLP. 090

Dry hop 2oz simcoe 5 days
Dry hop 2oz citra 5 days

Mash at 150 for 90min

I think that looks pretty good. Be sure to report back :)

Just to another perspective--although I think a pound of 40L crystal is on the high side, I don't think you need to cut it all the way to zero, either. I agree with LovesIPA that Mitch Steele is certainly to be respected in all things IPA, but so is Vinnie, and his homebrew recipes of Pliny the Elder always include some crystal (though it's more like 3%). It just depends on whether you want a really dry IPA, or a slightly maltier one. For me, I like to have a little more malt backbone for double IPAs than for your basic IPA--I find it helps to balance the higher alcohol burn and hop bitterness. So, if it were me, I would include at least a little crystal. But a beer without crystal (or indeed, without even much Munich, biscuit, etc) would also be good.

I do agree that as beers age, the crystal imparts a fruitiness that can interfere with the decaying hops. But if, as you should, you drink it as fast as possible, that won't be a problem. :drunk:

Yeah I read that about Vinnie. Maybe I will sub .5lbs 2row for .5 lbs crystal 45. The Munich will give me the toasty background and the crystal will balance the bitter hops with just a hint of sweetness

Back