Double IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimlessbum

Reaction score
After many (many) attempts (and failures) to nail down a double IPA, I am reaching out to the community to get some help. Usually- my DIPA's turn out to be too- earthy, yeasty, muddled, and - for lack of a better description, and a bit too sweet. This time, I'm rounding up a new yeast buddy (was reusing Vermont Ale in previous batches), using a huge starter in my search for a clean backbone to let the super juicy hops shine through. Something similar to, and inspired by Maine Beer. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated FG: 1.008
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76 IBUs
Estimated Efficiency: 70%
Mash Temp: 148
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Yeast: WLP090: San Diego Super

1 tsp Gypsum
10 lbs 2 Row Malt (69 %)
3.5 lbs Maris Otter (24 %)
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.4%)
4 oz Acid Malt (1.3%)

1 oz CTZ-First Wort 60.0 min

1 oz Centennial- Boil 20min
1 oz Citra- Boil 20min

2 oz Amarillo-Steep/Whirlpool- 30min
2 oz Citra- Steep/Whirlpool- 30min
1 oz CTZ- Steep/Whirlpool-30min

3 oz Galaxy- Dry Hop 5.0 Days
3 oz Nelson- Dry Hop 5.0 Days

looks good. my only suggestion is to sub some base malt for some sugar.

I think that looks solid. Personally, id replace the MO with wheat. I like to use wheat in ym IPAs to help with body and head retention but mostly because it brings out a juicy character from the hops. Someone messaged me recently for IPA tips. let me find it...

edit:eek:h yeah, I also always use sugar in IPAs. For a double IPA, I would use 7-10%. I hate commercial DIPAs that have a malt character that lingers on your palate

I think that looks solid. Personally, id replace the MO with wheat. I like to use wheat in ym IPAs to help with body and head retention but mostly because it brings out a juicy character from the hops. Someone messaged me recently for IPA tips. let me find it...

edit:eek:h yeah, I also always use sugar in IPAs. For a double IPA, I would use 7-10%. I hate commercial DIPAs that have a malt character that lingers on your palate

Yeah- that's exactly what I'm been getting in my IPA's. Too much malt fighting the hops. Here's the updated recipe:

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated FG: 1.008
Estimated Color: 5.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 76 IBUs
Estimated Efficiency: 70%
Mash Temp: 148
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Yeast: WLP090: San Diego Super

1 tsp Gypsum
10 lbs 2 Row Malt (69 %)
3.5 lbs Maris Otter (24 %)
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.4%)
4 oz Acid Malt (1.3%)
8 Oz Corn Sugar

1 oz CTZ-First Wort 60.0 min

1 oz Centennial- Boil 20min
1 oz Citra- Boil 20min

2 oz Amarillo-Steep/Whirlpool- 30min
2 oz Citra- Steep/Whirlpool- 30min
1 oz CTZ- Steep/Whirlpool-30min

3 oz Galaxy- Dry Hop 5.0 Days
3 oz Nelson- Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Loving the galaxy and nelson dry hop. Did that with a DIPA this summer and it turned out amazing. Interesting thing is how galaxy ages (at least to me). After about 3 months, when I was drinking the last couple bottles, it was giving a lot more onion/garlic than it did in the first 2 months.

Latest posts

Back