Double IPA: Nottingham or US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast is best for a IIPA?

• Nottingham

• Safale US-05

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bradinator

Reaction score
Just about finished my first IIPA and I have both yeast available. I have read through several threads on the N Vs. the 5 but did not come to a clear conclusion on which is best for this style.

Nottingham has been very good to me in the past and has always been my yeast of choice, but if US-05 is going to make a better tasting IIPA I am willing to cheat on it.

Estimated OG - 1.083 (Based of pre-boil calc)
Desired FG - 1.014 (I want it on the slightly dryer end of the style, I mashed at 149)

I am leaning towards US-05, but I am worried it won't attenuate down to the level I want.

I made a poll. Because polls are awesome.

Thanks in advance for the input everyone! :mug:

I've used Notty a couple of times but use Us-05 now for 90% of my beers. I recently brewed a 1.072 IIPA and pitched 2 packs of dry. It got down to 1.010.

I use 05 and just about all of my batches. I generally get about 83 to 85% attenuation out of it. I just used it on 81.083 Imperial Stout, no problems. It is a very great clean tasting yeast! I don't stray from it.

05 for sure. I love Notty for a bunch of beers, but I don't like it as much as 05 in high gravity beers. The 05 is much cleaner in big beers IMO

Back