Double IPA - North of the Pines Pale Ale "when add the Hops"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabimkbrewer

Reaction score
Hello,

brewing this Double IPA North of the Pines Pale Ale - Found on Brewers Friend http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/300377/north-of-the-pines-pale-ale

The recipe instruction does not tell you when to add all 5 oz "Simcoe" only partial, if someone can point out when is best to add those hops. See instructions below. I highlighted where only shows when to add the Simcoe. Cheers!

Setup
Double check that all ingredients are on hand.
Make sure ice is on hand for ice bath, or fill up freezer trays.
Ensure all equipment is on hand (hydrometer, sanitizer, fuel, fermentor, kettle, air lock, hops bags, hoses, funnel, towel, etc).
This recipe calls for 6.37 gal (25.5 qt) of water given the recipe and your equipment profile.
Clean workspace and setup equipment.
Begin heating strike water in main cook pot. (175F / 79C is general target temp)
Add brewing salts as recipe calls for or to style.
Weigh out and mill grains if not already milled.
Prepare hops additions.
Take yeast out of fridge if using liquid ale yeast.

Mash
When strike water is ready, submerge grain bag and begin mash.
Place lid on kettle and ensure temperature is maintained.
Mash Step 1 - 152 F for 60 min, 16 qt, type: Infusion.
Mash Step 1 - Start mash timer, set for 60 min.
Mash Step 1 - Complete.
Mash Step 2 - 170 F for 15 min, 6 qt, type: Sparge.
Mash Step 2 - Start mash timer, set for 15 min.
Mash Step 2 - Complete.
Mash complete, remove grain bag from kettle.

Boil
Fill kettle to a pre-boil volume of 4.7 gal (18.8 qt).
Set kettle to high heat.
Add dry / liquid malt extract to kettle.
Prepare for boil, watch for boil over.
Start boil timer, set for 60 minutes.
Add 1 oz of Bravo at 60 min.
Prepare ice bath at 10 min.
Begin sanitizing lid of kettle at 10 min.
Add 1 oz of Simcoe at 5 min.
Boil complete. Flame out.

Finish
Whirlpool 2 oz of Simcoe for 20 min at 180 F.
Cool wort down to ~70F / 21C.
Sanitize primary fermenter, cork, air lock, aeration stone/hose, funnel, wine thief.
When wort is cooled to ~70F / 21C, transfer wort into fermenter.
Top off fermenter with water to desired batch size.
Aerate wort by shaking, rocking, splashing, or with aeration stone.
Take gravity reading.
Pitch yeast.
Fit with airlock or blow off tube for high gravity or dark beers.
Move fermenter to temperature stable area protected from light.
Clean up equipment.

The last two ounces are for dry hopping. They would be added towards the end of fermentation or when racking to secondary if you want to do that.

No big deal; sorry if I seemed curt. I was responding from work, so the message needed to be short. Honestly, I haven't dry hopped anything myself.

Theoretically, the dry hops are added either when the fermentation is almost complete or after final gravity is achieved days after the yeast is pitched.

Here is a description of the dry-hopping method I use:

http://handsonbrewing.com/brewers-reference/process/dry-hopping-the-proper-way/

I know Dennis, and he is a great brewer (won NHA Pale Ale a year or two ago). I started using this method about a year ago, and the difference in my IPAs is as he describes.

EDIT: his link at the end to his Scrapiron IPA recipe...I've had that IPA on several occasions. YOU SHOULD TRY THE RECIPE. It's...really...good.

@prrriiide thanks for the advised. As I read on this article it has to be done before racking. Another question (to all as well). This recipe call for sparge - transfer to cooler and all that as it is "all grain". I haven't done that. Is there a way to get around that?

Just brew as is a Pale ale or similar.

please advised.

@prrriiide thanks for the advised. As I read on this article it has to be done before racking. Another question (to all as well). This recipe call for sparge - transfer to cooler and all that as it is "all grain". I haven't done that. Is there a way to get around that?

please advised.

If I understand, you have never done a partial mash, is that correct?

If you are interested in giving it a try, it is very simple, and I would recommend looking around the forum for threads about it.

However, the main benefit of the partial mash in this particular recipe is the inclusion of Munich malt. If you are willing to leave out the Munich malt, the carapils and honey malt can be steeped and the 2-row can be replaced with additional light extract.

please advised.

I didn't see any reference to sparging in the article.

EDIT: You're talking about his IPA recipe...I see. Yes, it's AG. There are calcs out there that will allow you to convert it to extract. But the hopping technique holds whether it's Dennis' PA, or any other.

It doesn't really matter if it's all-grain or not. Just get your wort into the fermenter and follow the hopping schedule. All will be fine.

Back