Double IPA - Comments / suggestions before Brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstenger

Reaction score
Here's what I'm shooting for...

Pronounced Bitterness. Something only true hop heads would enjoy.
Refreshing Citrusy / Grapefruit / Tangerine taste and aroma.

Recipe:
All grain - 60 min mash, 90 min boil, 109.9 IBUs, Estimated OG 1.079

26lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

Adjuncts
90 mins 1lbs Clear Candy Sugar

Hop additions
90 mins 2.5 oz Yakima Magnum 14.4%
35 mins 1.5 oz Amarillo 8.5%
25 mins 1.5 oz Amarillo 8.5%
15 mins 2.5 oz Cascade 5.5%
10 mins 2.5 oz Cascade 5.5%
0 mins 1.0 oz Summit 18%

14 Days 3.0 oz Summit 18%
14 Days 2.0 oz Amarillo 8.5%

Wyeast 1056

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

That looks like a good Double IPA KISS recipe, I say go for it!

I like the addition of Candi Sugar to raise the gravity, and lighten the body slightly.

Your hops schedule looks like it will be tasty. I like Amarillo in particular.

Looks potent to me. I just did up an IIPA and didn't use any sugar, hit 1.080 and a FG of 1.011. So what I guess I am asking is, are you trying to lighten the body and up the gravity, or is there a different reason you are trying to use the sugar?

If you change your mash time from 60 to 75-90min, you will convert more and depending on temp (I like 151* or so) will make a very attenuative fermentation. Otherwise, as I said, it looks great and you will find a lot of hopheads crowding your kitchen :mug:

PS...even on a 90min boil, you can interchange the 90min and 60min addition. Try some FWH by throwing like an oz of hops into the dry kettle and then sparging on top of it. Adds a nice complexity :D

PPS...I assume you are doing a 10gal batch right?

Looks potent to me. I just did up an IIPA and didn't use any sugar, hit 1.080 and a FG of 1.011. So what I guess I am asking is, are you trying to lighten the body and up the gravity, or is there a different reason you are trying to use the sugar?

If you change your mash time from 60 to 75-90min, you will convert more and depending on temp (I like 151* or so) will make a very attenuative fermentation. Otherwise, as I said, it looks great and you will find a lot of hopheads crowding your kitchen :mug:

PS...even on a 90min boil, you can interchange the 90min and 60min addition. Try some FWH by throwing like an oz of hops into the dry kettle and then sparging on top of it. Adds a nice complexity :D

PPS...I assume you are doing a 10gal batch right?

Candi Sugar is to up the ABV without having too much impact on the overall brew, however, any sucrose will normally lighten the body somewhat.

Candi Sugar is to up the ABV without having too much impact on the overall brew, however, any sucrose will normally lighten the body somewhat.

Right. I ask the OP, because is he doing it just to add sugar because other people have it in their recipes, or is he doing it because he has brewed a style similar and knows that sugar is what he wants.

It has been my experience that you can get a really good attenuation on an IPA by mashing a little lower. If I was a brewery that mashes at 155 or a homebrewer that couldn't control my mash temp as well, then I would work sugar into my recipe in order to "fix" the attenuation problem. When I do 1.090 or above, I like to add sugar because they typically finish out at around 1.020-1.030 and that needs to be thinner. It all comes down to personal preference though.

The candy sugar was to thin the body and raise ABV. We brewed last night, OG 1.072. I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW the summit hops smell incredible...

Back