Double Check my StillDragon DIY Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewprime1

Reaction score
Just finished wiring up my StillDragon controller. I think I've done everything properly, but I would love another set of eyes to verify.

I also have a multimeter, but not the first clue on how to use it. Could someone direct me on testing this set up with said multimeter?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422919896.509530.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422919949.732843.jpg

Please ignore my ****ty soldering job, by the third one I was doing a whole lot better, but it's hard holding three things with only two hands :)

Edit: also planning on a bigger project box, a 240 backlit rocker switch and a computer fan for cooling.

looks good ! if you want to test it with your meter, put your meter on A/C, put the black - probe on the green ground coming into the SSR, put your + red probe on the -2 output of the SSR. Plug it in and crank your potentiometer up. should say 120v or 220v depending on what you are set up for. Don't touch anything with your hands inside, power will be LIVE....

to test your potentiometer, put your multimeter on the lulu lemon horseshoe symbol (ohms). put black to black and red to red on your beautifully soldered pot. fully cranked it should be around 500, then should lower as you turn the knob... NOTE: you don't need to have the power on to test the potentiometer !!

Happy Brewing !!

Last edited:
Would just like to add to pheonix's note, you should definitely unplug the panel before testing resistance to the pot, it is kinda dangerous to measure resistance in a live circuit. That goes double with a cheap meter, it is frightening how little input protection some of them have.

Back