Don't pour boiling water in a bottling bucket.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koenigwi

Reaction score
Turns out that's a bad idea.

Seemed like a good idea to pre-sanitize a bunch of water, so I could do a 2.5 gal boil and top off with three gallons plus have a couple extra clean gallons in need case I needed it. Boiled the water. Cleaned and sanitized my bottling bucket. Poured the boiling water into the bucket. Put on the lid. Put in an airlock with just enough water to seal the gap but not enough to get sucked back in as it cooled.

Ten minutes later, the plastic o ring on the outside of the bucket burst. It split and started pouring out boiling water. Fortunately, I was able to screw the spigot down enough to stop the flow without reaching in.

Lesson learned: don't do that. Also, I'm not as clever as I thought.

I've always been hesitant to use plastics above mash temperatures unless it has a rating that I know is safe

I've always been hesitant to use plastics above mash temperatures unless it has a rating that I know is safe

you'll want to look for: HDPE 2 - food grade.

I recently picked up a 6-pack of these buckets. Poured boiling wort through a strainer into the bucket to cool in place, and am using the bucket as a primary fermenter. So far, so good.

Use my buckets as primary fermentors. Pour boiling wort in all the time.

Back