Don't laugh...but Fosters...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevechilds34

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recognise this post might attract some sarcasm, and before anyone starts - I agree with you.

I'm fairly new to brewing and loving the hobby so far. My best friend however, only drinks Fosters lager, maybe Budweiser or Carling. I can't really share my hobby with my mate at the moment because everything I'm brewing is in his words 'too tasty'.

I acknowledge I could just do a basic Coopers extract kit, but wondered if there's a fairly simple lager recipe, nothing too strong, or too 'tasty' but more in the style of your basic pub lager...

Any suggestions gratefully received.

There's a section on this site under the recipes heading for lagers. You might choose one but ferment it with an ale yeast. If you're new to brewing, lager temperature control and other things might be a headache. As they say you can't "hide" behind strong flavors for any errors.

Or look into some of the Blonde or perhaps Farmhouse recipes that aren't too strongly flavored, they are often considered something lager drinkers can usually enjoy.

There's a section on this site under the recipes heading for lagers. You might choose one but ferment it with an ale yeast. If you're new to brewing, lager temperature control and other things might be a headache. As they say you can't "hide" behind strong flavors for any errors.

Or look into some of the Blonde or perhaps Farmhouse recipes that aren't too strongly flavored, they are often considered something lager drinkers can usually enjoy.
Thank you - I'll take a look - I bought a clone recipe book but the yeasts for lagers all needed quite cold temps which I think I'll struggle with, with the kit I currently have - appreciate the reply

Maybe just pick some of your favorite recipes that you already do and might have the ingredients on hand. And just leave out the flame out hops. Maybe even leave out the 15 minute hops or just reduce them.

Definitely no dry-hopping.

I'm not gonna dis Foster's but I am a beer-snob and I will readily dis Bud and Carling... That "too tasty" is because even a basic Coopers kit is always going to taste better than the cheap mainstream rubbish.
Tell us what you're fermenting in and wether or not you have any kind of temperature control, as that can make a big difference.

I'm not gonna dis Foster's but I am a beer-snob and I will readily dis Bud and Carling... That "too tasty" is because even a basic Coopers kit is always going to taste better than the cheap mainstream rubbish.
Tell us what you're fermenting in and wether or not you have any kind of temperature control, as that can make a big difference.
Thank you I have a basic fermenting bin and heatbelt if needed. Not progressed much further yet. I also have a relatively cold conservatory! Lol

Is that "South Wales" as in Australia or the UK? If lagers are your main interest; I'm a fan of many of the Kegland products, and I imagine they cost a bit less closer to the source. [Disclaimer: Get used to this! ..posting a question and having some or many of us tell you to spend money...it happens every day, and though I try not to, in some cases I do it all the same.]
The Fermzilla's are an excellent compromise for lager without temp control (See Warm Fermented Lager Thread ) ...of course you could always use a keg, but still need a spunding valve.
...just trying to provide food for thought.
:bigmug:

Thank you I have a basic fermenting bin and heatbelt if needed. No progressed much further yet.
Is that "South Wales" as in Australia or the UK? If lagers are your main interest; I'm a fan of many of the Kegland products, and I imagine they cost a bit less closer to the source. [Disclaimer: Get used to this! ..posting a question and having some or many of us tell you to spend money...it happens every day, and though I try not to, in some cases I do it all the same.]
The Fermzilla's are an excellent compromise for lager without temp control (See Warm Fermented Lager Thread ) ...of course you could always use a keg, but still need a spunding valve.
...just trying to provide food for thought.
:bigmug:
UK - lager really isn't my drink - I really want to do some flavourful stouts! But feel the need to have something a little more sociable and sessionable around...

I wouldn't bother chasing a traditional lager recipe or process if the target is to please mass-market lager drinkers. I'd just aim for a grain bill that avoids maris otter or high-grade pilsner malts. I'd go with whatever the cheapest "lager malt" is that you can find, use a touch of light crystal for colour, a 10% or so dose of wheat (UK Fosters lists wheat in the ingredients), maize or rice to lighten it up further and maybe even chuck in some plain sugar to dry it out. Stick to the 4-4.5% ABV range.

Hop it to 35 IBU or so with the 60 min addition (Magnum or similar will do) and use a light hand with some end of boil Hallertau or similar (pretty sure Fosters use Pride of Ringwood, but best not commit to cloning that choice). Ferment at 18C with a relatively clean yeast like Nottingham, US-05 or a Kolsch. You could go for a warm ferment with a lager yeast like 34/70 but I doubt your audience would appreciate the effort. Aim for clarity in whatever ways your process allows because if it doesn't loook right you can forget them thinking it tastes right. Carb to the high end and serve fridge cold.

While the above might sound a bit sniffy about the tastes involved, brewing something to match the precision light lager output of the giants is not easy. People are used to what they're used to and I wouldn't get too upset if you fail to please people who really just want the familiar.

I wouldn't bother chasing a traditional lager recipe or process if the target is to please mass-market lager drinkers. I'd just aim for a grain bill that avoids maris otter or high-grade pilsner malts. I'd go with whatever the cheapest "lager malt" is that you can find, use a touch of light crystal for colour, a 10% or so dose of wheat (UK Fosters lists wheat in the ingredients), maize or rice to lighten it up further and maybe even chuck in some plain sugar to dry it out. Stick to the 4-4.5% ABV range.

Hop it to 35 IBU or so with the 60 min addition (Magnum or similar will do) and use a light hand with some end of boil Hallertau or similar (pretty sure Fosters use Pride of Ringwood, but best not commit to cloning that choice). Ferment at 18C with a relatively clean yeast like Nottingham, US-05 or a Kolsch. You could go for a warm ferment with a lager yeast like 34/70 but I doubt your audience would appreciate the effort. Aim for clarity in whatever ways your process allows because if it doesn't loook right you can forget them thinking it tastes right. Carb to the high end and serve fridge cold.

While the above might sound a bit sniffy about the tastes involved, brewing something to match the precision light lager output of the giants is not easy. People are used to what they're used to and I wouldn't get too upset if you fail to please people who really just want the familiar.
Amazing advice - really appreciated - thank you

I'm fairly new to brewing and loving the hobby so far. My best friend however, only drinks Fosters lager, maybe Budweiser or Carling. I can't really share my hobby with my mate at the moment because everything I'm brewing is in his words 'too tasty'.

I acknowledge I could just do a basic Coopers extract kit, but wondered if there's a fairly simple lager recipe, nothing too strong, or too 'tasty' but more in the style of your basic pub lager...

Well, I had the good fortune to travel to Sydney, NSW a couple times.
On one evening I was standing in a bar spreading the BS with one of the locals. The topic came around to "ready for a refill" and I said sure, do they have any Fosters on tap because I'd never had it. He laughed at me and said "That stuff is made with kangaroo p_ss, we don't drink it here, we export it to the US.
So that ingredient might be a place to start though not readily available everywhere :p.
I've still never had it...

I recognise this post might attract some sarcasm, and before anyone starts - I agree with you.

I've used this recipe with great success:
https://brewgr.com/recipe/8412/finding-foster-recipe

I remember my college days back in the 70's when I went to a college in a dry county... for beer only. Liquor was okay! But that's another story...

Anyway, Mississippi at that time had very low restriction on ABV. So we'd pile in a car and drive to Louisiana and load up with various brands of beers we couldn't get just across the county line a few miles from the school.

One was Foster's beer in 25/32nds of a quart can. I always thought that an odd way to list the quantity. We called them oil cans as they were such a odd size for a beer can.

One was Foster's beer in 25/32nds of a quart can. I always thought that an odd way to list the quantity. We called them oil cans as they were such a odd size for a beer can.
Especially since 1/32 of a quart is, you know, an ounce.

And I always assumed that everybody called them oil cans even though oil comes in quarts. And it hasn't come in cans for about 30 years, so the kids won't have any idea what we're talking about.

@PCABrewing given what you're attempting, i would offer this advice:

as someone who's brews are probably 80% lagers, i propose you make a very basic, but "modern" lager. it will be well received, and its fairly easy to make.

basic lager- say 10% vienna, 5% of a carafoam/carapils for nice head, and the rest can be either plain two row, pils or golden promise. (no maris, or other high flavor base malts). if you're using extracts, just blend a little vienna into a light/pils DME.

keep it under 5%
go for about 30 IBUs. half of it from a smooth bitter, like magnum, say 15-20IBUS. and throw in some modern hops at 10min and 5min, like citra, mosaic, amarillo, or stuff closer to you like galaxy, vic secret, or NZ stuff like nectaron, rawaka, motueka, motuere etc. etc. nothing with "herbal/woody/dank/diesel/coconut/caramel" type flavors. you want pure fruity tropical flavor.

i recommend using clearzyme or brewers clarex, not sure what you have in Auz. crisps up the beer and cleans up flavors. cheap and easy to use. CellarScience® Clearzyme - Beer Clarifier | MoreBeer just dump it in when you pitch the yeast.

use 34/70 or s184 as yeast. they both can ferment at room temp with good, clean results. use two packs if you really want to go for a super clean flavor. there are others that are recommended for "warm fermented lagers" which you can search on the forum, but those two are the best.

once primary ferm is slowed and winding up, dry hop at around 30g per gallon.

if you bottle, i'd get some ascorbic acid or sodium metabisulfite, and add that into the beer right before you bottle. 1/4 teaspoon. (thats like 1 or 1.5ml? volume)

simple recipe. room temp is fine. crisp, clean lager with light tropical hop flavor.

And I always assumed that everybody called them oil cans even though oil comes in quarts. And it hasn't come in cans for about 30 years, so the kids won't have any idea what we're talking about.
I grew up in a mechanic shop right as plastic bottles came into their own. I've poured oil into cars from a can but lived mostly in a world of plastic bottles. Thanks for eliciting those memories :)

nothing too strong, or too 'tasty' but more in the style of your basic pub lager...
Totally agreed with what has been said already. Just different versions of a similar beer. For my version I would say cream ale.
  • 85% pilsner/pale malt and 15% flaked corn
  • Ferment it with 34/70 or US-05 (or better yet BRY-97)
  • Bitter with your choice of hop to ~15 IBU at the beginning of the boil
  • Add an ounce or less of a mild hop at 5 mins or so. I like Willamette or Mittelfruh. Zuper Saazer for a bit more bite.
That should give you a beer with a total IBU near 20 and the right color and taste for your friends. If you don't brew these yet then you also might be surprised how much you appreciate the simplicity of a beer like this and the challenge of really getting it right. Even if your friends don't.

Glad you're enjoying so far :mug:

I grew up in a mechanic shop right as plastic bottles came into their own. I've poured oil into cars from a can but lived mostly in a world of plastic bottles. Thanks for eliciting those memories :)
Pretty sure I've still got a couple of these lying around somewhere.
1676481177533.png
Need to figure out some way to use them in brewing...

Pretty sure I've still got a couple of these lying around somewhere.
View attachment 812689
Need to figure out some way to use them in brewing...
Too bad Foster's doesn't still come in oil cans!

Actually one of my friends used one to open a can of Foster's and pour into a glass. Although it wasted more beer than anything, IIRC. We'd already had too much. Not sure if the thing was even clean. As teens we didn't much care.

Back