Don't Fail Me: PM Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCADJockey

ALL YOUR BASE
Reaction score
Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.45%
IBU (tinseth): 72.3
SRM (morey): 7.81

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (60%)
2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (20%)
2 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (20%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 47.83
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 8.3
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 12.25
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 3.91

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys. Just put this recipe together on brewersfriend.com, I want to try out some 2-row before I get the sack I ordered from a bulk buy. I'm looking for any advice on how to tweak the recipe. If it sounds okay as it is, or if I should change or add anything? Is this just going to be a sweet pale ale? The IBU's seem kind of high according to them for what I thought was a small amount of hops.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will be buying ingredients in just over 2 hours. Thank you so much!

The crystal malt here is quite high. Cutting down to 5% would be wise for the style.

Add all of that extract at flameout and try to do a full wort boil for lighter color and better hop utilization. Instead of using all of that Simcoe early, use something like 0.50 oz. of high alpha Warrior, Columbus, or Magnum at boil start to achieve approx. 20-30 IBUs. Then, focus on your late additions at 10 or 5 minutes, Whirlpool, Dryhop. More IBUs will generate and possibly double your IBUs if you bombard it with hops late. You will also have more pleasant flavor and aroma with less harsh bitterness.

God, it's scary that I can read a thread title and go, "Yup, TheCADJockey."

Personally, I would move the 30 min additions inside of 15 for more flavor and less IBUs. At 1.016, I wouldn't be worried about it being too sweet.

But I'm a noob.

Fart.

The crystal malt here is quite high. Cutting down to 5% would be wise for the style.

Add all of that extract at flameout and try to do a full wort boil for lighter color and better hop utilization. Instead of using all of that Simcoe early, use something like 0.50 oz. of high alpha Warrior, Columbus, or Magnum at boil start to achieve about 20-30 IBUs. Then, focus on your late additions at 10 or 5 minutes, Whirlpool, Dryhop. More IBUs will generate and possibly double your IBUs if you bombard it with hops late. You will also have more pleasant flavor and aroma with less harsh bitterness.

I'm not so much worried about the style, I only flagged it as an APA because that is what it was closest to. I wouldn't mind something with nice malt/hops balance. I just have a hard time keeping the ibu's down on brewersfriend. Going to adjust the hops as you mentioned and see how it looks. Thanks for the swift reply.

God, it's scary that I can read a thread title and go, "Yup, TheCADJockey."

Personally, I would move the 30 min additions inside of 15 for more flavor and less IBUs. At 1.016, I wouldn't be worried about it being too sweet.

But I'm a noob.

Fart.

Hey... stop stalking me, I'm just trying to get some help :cross: I haven't made a stupid thread in a while, I've been trying to be good.

I made it 7# 2-row and 1# crystal (10%) and adjusted the hops schedule with warrior at 60m as suggested.

Since I'm not sure what the process of whirlpooling hops entails and I am trying to keep this simple still, I moved the rest down to 15m additions.

The changes you both suggested did in fact drop it into the style, which is fine and the ibu's from the hops makes more sense as to what I was doing wrong. Thank you.

Is 8 pounds of grain a manageable amount for a 5 gallon brewpot?

I made it 7# 2-row and 1# crystal (10%) and adjusted the hops schedule with warrior at 60m as suggested.

Since I'm not sure what the process of whirlpooling hops entails and I am trying to keep this simple still, I moved the rest down to 15m additions.

The changes you both suggested did in fact drop it into the style, which is fine and the ibu's from the hops makes more sense as to what I was doing wrong. Thank you.

Is 8 pounds of grain a manageable amount for a 5 gallon brewpot?

According to this, yes. I used this for all my calcs... you should be good, might be a little sketchy, but I would just go for it.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Back