Donate to me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo boo

Reaction score
Anyone else insulted by this addition to our profiles?

If I want to pay for a membership, then I'm sure I could raise the funds myself. I don't need to beg for anything.

If I want to pay for a membership, then I'm sure I could raise the funds myself. I don't need to beg for anything.

I thought that at first, but now I really like it. There have been many people around here who have helped me out, and now I have a way to "pay" them back. You can even do it anonymously! I know that another HBT'er loves to buy memberships a couple of times a year as a gift and I always liked the idea, but didn't want to spend that much. So, now, if I want to sort of acknowledge someone's assistance, or show my thanks, I have a tangible way to do it. Whether or not they can afford it is beside the point, in my opinion.

Ya I think you are the only one. Its a way of saying, "Thanks for calming me down about my first batch" etc. A nice addition if you ask me.

I know that another HBT'er loves to buy memberships a couple of times a year as a gift and I always liked the idea, but didn't want to spend that much.

Someone bought me a new membership quite recently. I never did find out who it was.:confused:

I don't mind...I'm in the classroom 45 hours a week, so I can't really work. If someone wants to donate to me I'm not going to tell them no.

Someone bought me a new membership quite recently. I never did find out who it was.:confused:

and we're glad they did.

I'm hoping some rich old lady likes the cut of my jib and sends out a life time for the BigKahuna.

If not...meh....I'm sure I'll make an ass of myself sooner or later and need to buy someone a years worth to say sorry!

This was a suggestion that came from members. It's not that someone is begging for funds, it's that we want to be able to show our appreciation to some other members. Sometimes we do personal favors for each other and this is a nice way of giving a little nod in their direction.

When I first noticed the donate thingy under my name I went to my CP to try and remove it. I couldn't, then I realised that we all had one, so I didn't feel bad about it any more. Now that I know exactly what it is and how it works, I think it's a great idea! And I know that Revvy truly appreciates the penny I sent him. :)

I don't find it insulting. I can afford my own pint, but I'll also let someone buy me one if they want to. I find people who stick around for a long time without paying to be more insulting...

Perhaps we should call it something else instead of 'Donate to Me'?

'Tip me'?
'Buy me a pint'?

I dunno...just thinking out loud.

I don't find it insulting. I can afford my own pint, but I'll also let someone buy me one if they want to. I find people who stick around for a long time without paying to be more insulting...

+1 to this...

I also found it flattering that some people have "reached out and touched me." Because I've helped them in some small way.

And I didn't beg (except in jest)

I was thinking that it would be cool to even move money from my balance to someone else's...

Me wonders if booboo's not feeling a little sour grapes towards it...

Buy me a pint is a nice phraseology!

Patronize me. ;)

Come on, it's punny!

EDIT: the 'Donate to Me' link is now in the pulldown when you click on a username.

I'm willing to bet that it's being modified to Buy me a Pint right now, and that is why it is gone.

That's how I felt at first. Then the apathy kicked in and I felt a lot better.

While the concept it kinda cool, the stupid paypal fees eat up the first 31 cents of any donation. The nickle & dimes donated don't even make it as they are eaten up in paypal fees. For example, donated 50 cents to someone, while Tex may credit the receiever with 50 cents, paypal only forked over 19 cents while pocketing 31 cents in fees.

Check out PayPal Fee Calculator and run some calculations. I like the reverse calculator myself.

While the concept it kinda cool, the stupid paypal fees eat up the first 31 cents of any donation. The nickle & dimes donated don't even make it as they are eaten up in paypal fees. For example, donated 50 cents to someone, while Tex may credit the receiever with 50 cents, paypal only forked over 19 cents while pocketing 31 cents in fees.

Check out PayPal Fee Calculator and run some calculations. I like the reverse calculator myself.

Yeah, I figured it had to cost a lot to keep sending a penny to people.......common sense was never my strong point. :(

Really? Well how long do I have before I'm insulting? Is it based on time or post count?

Then I guess I'll be insulting you for a long time to come if you stick around.

For me, and that's only for me, I would feel like a wh**e for accepting gifts from people I don't know. Just the way I was brought up. This forum is free, and as long as it is I'll use and contribute to the greater good. I do appreciate the people who contribute and get memberships that keep this site going and if it came down to the crunch, I would contribute myself to keep this site going.

Back