Domestic Hefe recommendations (New England area) sought.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Well, I am trying to reaquaint(sp?) myself with the taste of hefe's. I got some good reccomendations of imported German Hefe's from folks here. Unfortunately I cannot find ANY available locally. So, can anyone recommend a good micro/domestic hefe that is close to "the real thing"

I am going to get something today so help me out. I know I can get Longtrail's Hefe, Harpoon UFO, and Magic Hat's Circus Boy. Not sure of any others but there probably are some. What is the best most authentic tasting domestic hefe I can get around these parts in your most educated opinions? :D

By all means avoid the Circus Boy. It's not a hefeweizen, it's an American wheat and not a very good one at that.

Check.

Though they claim it to be and even instruct you on rousing the yeast. I am not much of a magic hat fan anyways. Any suggestions?

Help help, quick I am headed out the door!! :D

Sorry for the impatience... :eek:

Guess I will buy some and then buy some more later based on rec. later :drunk:

okay, I got some Long Trail Hefe.

I am no hefe expert by any means but I like this fairly well. It had fairly minimal yeast sediment but at least there was some. It kind of tasted mildly like bubble gum and maybe a little lemony? Not at all "yeasty" like my bad batches have been so that is a relief.

I also discovered that they do actually have Franziskaner. They had a dunkel hefe. Only had one of dunkel hefe before and it sucked. It was one of Otter creeks "world tour" beers. This one is great though, kind of chocolatey.

Any recomendations for other domestic hefe's out there? I only saw harpoon, magic hat (which has been ruled out) and Sam Adams had a "Summer wheat" which is probably only a american wheat.

knights of Gambrinus said:

I am no hefe expert by any means but I like this fairly well. It had fairly minimal yeast sediment but at least there was some. It kind of tasted mildly like bubble gum and maybe a little lemony? Not at all "yeasty" like my bad batches have been so that is a relief.

I also discovered that they do actually have Franziskaner. They had a dunkel hefe. Only had one of dunkel hefe before and it sucked. It was one of Otter creeks "world tour" beers. This one is great though, kind of chocolatey.

Any recomendations for other domestic hefe's out there? I only saw harpoon, magic hat (which has been ruled out) and Sam Adams had a "Summer wheat" which is probably only a american wheat.

The Franziskaner Dunkel has been one of my favorite commercial beers. I can always pick one up and know I'll really enjoy it. I say try the Harpoon. I recall liking it very much for what it was. I haven't had one in a few years though..but in general I like the approach Harpoon takes in their beers (they tend to be a consistent, grounded company imo).

It's been a while since I had it, but Berskire Brewing Company had a hefe out last year that I liked a lot. I couldn't tell you if it was a classic example of a German hefe, or more of an American version, as it's been a while since I had it - and I'm not even sure if they're making it now. If you see it, though, I'd give it a shot.

Alright, I'm sorry... I just don't understand Longtrail. I bought their "Summer Survival pack" with a friend the other night and was utterly and completely dissapointed. The Ale was insipidly sweet and flavorless, the Hefe tasted more like a banana dacquiri than a beer, and the IPA was sweet and relativly hopless. And hopeless for that matter. I don't mean to offend, but Longtrail makes some very mediocre beers. Especially the Hefe...

Try the Cabot Street Wheat from Paper City Brewing if you have the opportunity. Western MA Uber Alles! Also, if you have the opportunity to dine in Boston try the Boston beer Works Hefe or the Cambridge Brewing Co. Hefe. Both quite tasty to me.

Ben

Harpoon UFO is a good wheat beer. Not even in the same class as the good German wheats, but a large step up from most of the american wheats I've had.

Back