dollar shave club, anyone try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
I have seen the commercials a time or two and got curious.
I signed up for the 4x blade which will cost me $6 a month for 4 sets of blades.
Seems to me like its worth a try, anyone sled a part of dollar shave club?
good results with the blades?

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

I signed up about a year ago I love it, razors are just as nice as Gillette. Can't beat it for 6 bucks, customer service is really good as well. They make it easy to change razors, or cancel. You can also have them sent every other month, I hope you like it as much as I do!

I have it. I'd say there almost as good as a Mach 3/5 but not quite as sharp out of the gate. I have the $9 model that has the trimmer blade. I really need one with a trimmer blade, but it seems like like this one wasn't designed very well. The trimmer blade isn't very close to the edge so it doesn't trim close enough to my nose. Which is the whole point of a trimmer. Otherwise it's a great deal. I'm gonna be switching to every other month cause I just can't keep up with the amount of blades that keep coming!

I don't personally use dollar shave club but a good friend of mine has been using the service for about 6 months now and he can't stop raving about them.

Dollar Shave Club's razors repackage/rebrand this company's product at a markup :

http://www.dorcousa.com/

If you have room for a shoe box of razors somewhere in your house, drop $30 at once at Dorco and have 1-2 years (maybe more) worth of razors delivered to your house instead of paying the subscription fee to DSC that sends you a package every month.

Its kinda like buying a pound of hops at once instead of ordering an ounce at a time. Buy in bulk, they don't go bad! No cute commercial though.

Sometimes random sht happens that blows your mind.

Today I bring a computer into work on at work. It's my friend's Ex wife's mother's computer. The mom passed away recently and this ex-wife (who is still on good terms with my friend and who play's WoW with us every week...) wanted me to back it up to a portable drive and reinstall Windows and stuff so her daughter could use it.

Imagine my surprise, when RIGHT AFTER READING THIS THREAD!!! I find a downloaded video OF THE COMMERCIAL FOR DOLLAR SHAVE!

I had to watch with the sound off, because I was not technically on break. But it looked funny as hell. Too bad they only have 2 and 4 blade razors. I only like the 3 blade Mach razors....

Dollar Shave Club's razors repackage/rebrand this company's product at a markup :

http://www.dorcousa.com/

If you have room for a shoe box of razors somewhere in your house, drop $30 at once at Dorco and have 1-2 years (maybe more) worth of razors delivered to your house instead of paying the subscription fee to DSC that sends you a package every month.

Its kinda like buying a pound of hops at once instead of ordering an ounce at a time. Buy in bulk, they don't go bad! No cute commercial though.

This is 100% what I wanted to say, well done. If you want to save money... do as broadbill says!

Some of us cannot run around looking like Hippies! just kidding, I am a shaving aficionado. When I shave it's like a session, I have my beer in one hand and shave soap in the other. I use my safety razor primarily but have discovered Harry's. They actually produce their blades, instead of buying from another company in which anyone can buy from.

They have stylish handles and the blades give a really close comfortable shave. Not to mention the fact that they will not cost you an arm and a leg. They are also buy at will, so no monthly charges.

http://www.harrys.com

I promise I am not affiliated with Harry's

I switched to a safety razor a year or so ago and buy the blades from Amazon. Sure is cheaper and a single blade works well!

merkurfutursatin.jpg

+

feather%205%20blades%20large.jpg

= happines, and cheap one at that!

There is a much better solution. Get a double edge safety razor. You can get high quality blades as cheap as $.25/blade. You will get a far superior shave from a DE razor than from a multi-blade razor for a fraction of the cost. There is a little bit of a learning curve with a DE razor (generally, you do 2 passes with a DE razor, one with the grain and one perpendicular to the grain). However, the payoff is a more smooth, less irritating shave.

This is the razor I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LW4L2W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And these are the blades I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RWTQTS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The feather blades are general considered the sharpest. I like them because they provide a very smooth shave. However, blades are very much a personal preference and there are a wide variety of DE blades to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a much better solution. Get a double edge safety razor. You can get high quality blades as cheap as $.25/blade. You will get a far superior shave from a DE razor than from a multi-blade razor for a fraction of the cost. There is a little bit of a learning curve with a DE razor (generally, you do 2 passes with a DE razor, one with the grain and one perpendicular to the grain). However, the payoff is a more smooth, less irritating shave.

This is the razor I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LW4L2W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And these are the blades I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RWTQTS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The feather blades are general considered the sharpest. I like them because they provide a very smooth shave. However, blades are very much a personal preference and there are a wide variety of DE blades to choose from.

I think feather's are amazing. My skin is VERY sensitive, but i rarely get any more burns since the feathers, being so sharp, just glide over the skin. They are so incredibly cheap, not only in cost, but because i also find they last far longer than cartidges.

As for the razor, i love my Merkur. Im not in the process of looking for a new soap, art of shaving is way too expensive.

I looked into the the whole safety razor, Turkish blades, badger brush, shaving soap in a a mug thing and realized ain't nobody got time for that sh*t...

MY schedule give me about 5 minutes in the morning to shave (if that)....I'll spend a little more in money for the convenience of taking to my overnight stubble with a disposable razor and some shave gel.

I'll leave the "shaving should be an experience" methods to the hipsters who don't have to be somewhere in the morning, who don't have kids who need to be shooed out door, etc.

I think feather's are amazing. My skin is VERY sensitive, but i rarely get any more burns since the feathers, being so sharp, just glide over the skin. They are so incredibly cheap, not only in cost, but because i also find they last far longer than cartidges.

As for the razor, i love my Merkur. Im not in the process of looking for a new soap, art of shaving is way too expensive.

I agree about the Feather blades. I tried many different DE blades and once I went Feather, I never went back. I too have sensitive skin and used to have terrible problems with multi-blade cartridges causing in-grown hairs on my neck. My skin is as happy as can be now!

If you're looking for a new soap, you may want to consider Tabac. It whips up a great lather IMHO.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GHYXG4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I looked into the the whole safety razor, Turkish blades, badger brush, shaving soap in a a mug thing and realized ain't nobody got time for that sh*t...

MY schedule give me about 5 minutes in the morning to shave (if that)....I'll spend a little more in money for the convenience of taking to my overnight stubble with a disposable razor and some shave gel.

I'll leave the "shaving should be an experience" methods to the hipsters who don't have to be somewhere in the morning, who don't have kids who need to be shooed out door, etc.

For daily stuff, or beard cleanup, shaving doenst take me any longer than cartridges do. And im not in any way a hipster...i just prefer to spend less money and not have a blade butcher my face. For days when i want a better shave, or do the SSS ritual, i just shave the night before.

If saving money is your goal. I switched to an old school safety razor, $13 got me 100 dual edge blades on amazon. That's almost enough to last me an entire year.

Doesnt take longer for me. Just because you use a safety razor doesnt mean you need all the other stuff you mentioned. Normal mornings I use a can of shaving cream and a safety razor. Takes just as long as the Mach 3 I used before and the shave is just as good if not better. I will say for the first week or so it took a bit longer due to being afraid of cutting myself, but now I can shave in the shower half asleep if im in a hurry without any worries.

Also, I have a the badger brush, nice shaving cream, etc. It really is a better shave in my opinion. I reserve it for special night out, or if I have something important going on during the day I get up a little early and do a nice triple pass shave and get baby face smooth.

I have kids too so I can appreciate the time crunch. Most mornings are chaotic. Takes me about 10 minutes to shave. That's with whipping up a lather and doing 2 passes with my razor. Once you get the process down you can be pretty quick about it. Plus, there's no rule that you have to use soap and a brush with a DE razor. Gel/cream will work just fine. Disposable razors really irritated my skin, DE razors don't. That's why I use them.

If disposables work for you great, you should keep using them. However, a lot of people don't know that there are other viable options out there for shaving that are (1) cheaper and (2) provide a superior shave to cartridges. The cost of a 12-pack of Gillette fusion cartridges equivalent to 2 years worth of blades for me. That's a pretty significant savings.

I just use the Mach 3. My face normally has a light stubble, just to break up the monotony. I shave about every 2-3 days. Use the trimmers to knock down the high stuff, then the razor to clean up the neck, high cheeks, and under the bottom lip.

Shaving takes me maybe 2 minutes tops. No cream. Just warmed up from the shower (or the sink if I'm just wetting my hair). I stopped using shaving cream a long time ago. I only use it when I want to surprise the wife and shave my face completely.

A pack of Mach 3 blades lasts most of a year for me if I push it.

I wish that were the case for me. I shave every other day and change blades every 1.5 weeks.

I change single blades every month(safety razor)

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

+1 on the feather razors.. i have used a merkur classic and feathers for about 8 years now.. buy a 100 pack of blades online and they will last a couple years (i shave 2-3 times a week) .. i've also tried tons of creams/soaps and the best i've found is [URL="http://mamabearssoaps.com/]mama bear's soaps[/URL].. i purposly switched to DE shaving because of the cost savings so this just makes it even better.. get a couple of the pucks and they will also last years, and the scents are quite fun.. i have a "stout" one that i've been using for quite a while but it doesn't look like she makes that one right now.. she does has bacon though.. may have to put an order through sometime :)

I didn't see those on dollar shave clubs website. Boy did this thread get derailed...

Not derailed , just upgraded .

Nothing against DSC or Dorco, I just have been wet shaving since I was 16. My grandfather only used safety razors and I followed suit.

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

I got a Mach 3 in the mail for my 18th birthday. I went out shortly after and bought a pack of replacement blades. Still haven't finished them all off.

I'm 25 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I do it in 10--15 minutes at night after the kids are asleep. Mornings are hell around here getting them out the door. I'll never go back to disposable.

Back