Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bentley and Radar... You can probably guess which is which. Bentley is 4months, Radar is 5yrs.

Ha, I had a "radar", too. Miss her :-( This is Cinna.

380224_535333227511_2145112461_n.jpg

Great Looking Pup, look at those ears!!

I'm surprised, I get nothing but crazy looks when I tell people her name is Radar. Personally, I think it's really fitting. :D

Here's my 4 year old when he was like... 4 months old.

He eventually grew into them, but looked like a big doofus for several months.

index.php

This is Wally when he was just 13 (year after we adopted him). He is playing Princess Buttercup in our "Prince Bride" theme at the Road America Lemons race. He is over 15 now and looks about the same. Slowing down a little everyday but just lives for the next race where he gets bacon and unlimited pretty girls to pet him and brush him.

IMG_3313.jpg

I guess I should show the rest of the pack.

Roxy is my blond...no fear,no concept of personal space and never met a stranger. Stolen by the ex-wife when she was being neglected. Actually had NEVER been inside a house and had three grass seeds growing in her ear. Estimated age...7 now

MJ is our most abused dog. Long story on her but she is likely going for the big sleep soon as her desire to maintain "alpha" status has made her a danger to herself and the other dogs. She is 13 and showing all the signs of severe dementia. Considering the head trauma she experienced as a pup (most of that skull is not original) it is not a surprise.

Roxy.jpg

MJ.jpg

This thread is how you know this Forum loves America. We love our dagone dogs. I present to you The Young and the Restless.

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

I've fostered a number of dogs over the last five or so years. The hardest part about fostering is to let them go when they find their furever home. My hardest one was a pit bull, Sadie. I fostered her for about three months, and when it was time for her to go, I was bummed for a week after. Still the best thing I could have done, she was so happy. I'll have to find her picture and post it here.

Good on you for fostering. I have a special place for dogs, animals, whatever, and there are too few folks who will foster a pup and give him home for a bit. A tip of the hat to you, sir!

Thanks. Unfortunately Mr. Bronson had to go back to the house where I got him from. It's someone who works for the rescue and fosters all dogs until they can go to other foster homes or better yet, get adopted.

Broson was awesome and even though I never saw myself with a larger dog, I saw myself keeping this love bug. Until he saw the cat. He was very aggressive to the cat and I couldn't get him to calm down. It went on for hours, I kept trying to introduce them to each other in a more neutral place, but it wasn't working. The dog thrashed through my office knocking a computer on to the floor. I grabbed the cat and shut the office door so he could calm down but he was panting and threw up on me (that was a new one for me) then tore my shirt with his claws to get out of my arms. It was bad.

I feel horrible, but I will definitely try again. The worst part was taking him back. My dog really liked him a lot and they played very well together. Bronson was attached to my side as long as the cat wasn't around. I didn't realize how badly I would feel. He deserves a great home because he is really a great dog. Not food, toy, or people aggressive. Great with dogs but not cats. That is the downfall.

I feel horrible, but I will definitely try again. The worst part was taking him back. My dog really liked him a lot and they played very well together. Bronson was attached to my side as long as the cat wasn't around. I didn't realize how badly I would feel. He deserves a great home because he is really a great dog. Not food, toy, or people aggressive. Great with dogs but not cats. That is the downfall.
Do not feel bad. Though we (I guess just me now unless you include my pack) have not fostered but adopted troubled or unadoptable dogs for the last 15 years. We have only had to re-home one but that broke our hearts (oddly, she was the only one without severe emotional issues). The prey drive regarding cats is just a part of some dog's DNA and although there are certain breeds that are known for it it can affect any dog.

My former In-laws had a pack of 4 Scotties. 3 would attack a cat on sight or attempt to dig under the fence to get at one. The fourth could care less.

Thanks. Unfortunately Mr. Bronson had to go back to the house where I got him from. It's someone who works for the rescue and fosters all dogs until they can go to other foster homes or better yet, get adopted.

Broson was awesome and even though I never saw myself with a larger dog, I saw myself keeping this love bug. Until he saw the cat. He was very aggressive to the cat and I couldn't get him to calm down. It went on for hours, I kept trying to introduce them to each other in a more neutral place, but it wasn't working. The dog thrashed through my office knocking a computer on to the floor. I grabbed the cat and shut the office door so he could calm down but he was panting and threw up on me (that was a new one for me) then tore my shirt with his claws to get out of my arms. It was bad.

You did something important for that dog, though. You discovered he can't be in a home with cats. If you hadn't fostered him, he may have gotten adopted to a home with cats and something horrible could have happened and he could have ended up worse off than just going back to the rescue, if you get my drift.

My dog loves cats. When we got the cat, it was a week before he stopped following her around, grinning and panting on her.

This is Coco. She likes to hang out and make sure everything in the brew process in copacetic.

IMG_2643.jpg

Our dog is fine with the cats. My wife thinks he might have been rescued from a hording situation.

The dog gets jealous of the Siamese when he's snuggling me. The siamese gets jealous of the dog when I'm petting him.

That jealousy has had the positive effect of shortening the amount of time it takes the cats to forgive me for going on a roadtrip. The dog is like "You're home! I love you!" And the cats are like "I can't let the dog have all the ear scratches. I love you too."

I finally found a harness big enough for Tesla. It's an XL.

Actually, it might be a tad too big around the neck in front of his legs. I tightened the strap all the way it will go and its a little looser than I'd like. The strap that goes behind the shoulders and front legs I've adjusted so that it is snug when sitting and a little loose when standing.

I have opted not to use the anti-jumping attachment. He's not a jumper.

It worked really well for walking him. Only twice did he want to drag me and that was because other dogs were barking at him. Otherwise, once there was a little tension on the leash, he would slow down to my speed.

My bigger dog, Timmy, the one above with the red collar, is solid muscle. I had them both tied up to 16kg (35 lbs) kettle bells and he took off down the yard dragging his behind him when he seen a cat on the loose. No effort at all, dragging a cast-iron ball...

My bigger dog, Timmy, the one above with the red collar, is solid muscle. I had them both tied up to 16kg (35 lbs) kettle bells and he took off down the yard dragging his behind him when he seen a cat on the loose. No effort at all, dragging a cast-iron ball...

Wally, my 15 year old, has moved a full 29 cu ft fridge...in an alcove...twice to get a carrot. We do not tie him off to less than 400 #'s at the track because he towed two 16" wheels with tires and a 10' x 10' ez-up more than 150' trying to get to the bacon man. I love that friggin dog! It was bacon for heavens sake!

Wally, my 15 year old, has moved a full 29 cu ft fridge...in an alcove...twice to get a carrot. We do not tie him off to less than 400 #'s at the track because he towed two 16" wheels with tires and a 10' x 10' ez-up more than 150' trying to get to the bacon man. I love that friggin dog! It was bacon for heavens sake!

How much does he weigh?

Timmy is about 14kg (30 lbs) and 3 years old.

the Howdy's selfie

just got back from taking him to the doggie dermatologist ($345, OUCH!). he's got allergies, which make him scratch, which gets infected. So we got antibiotics and another special shampoo

plus Apoquel, which he might have to take forever

plus he has a yeast infection. again. he had one 3 years ago, when I first re-started brewing.

that's a complete coincidence, by the way.

hmmm... thinking of brewing a "brett"

2015-02-27 11.33.49.jpg

the Howdy's selfie

just got back from taking him to the doggie dermatologist ($345, OUCH!). he's got allergies, which make him scratch, which gets infected. So we got antibiotics and another special shampoo

plus Apoquel, which he might have to take forever

plus he has a yeast infection. again. he had one 3 years ago, when I first re-started brewing.

that's a complete coincidence, by the way.

hmmm... thinking of brewing a "brett"

View attachment 266343

Have you tried giving him fish oil? KB has major issues with allergies and itching and nothing seemed to help much. We started giving him fish oil and about 90% of the itching problems went away. Helps keep the skin from getting dry which makes it a lot worse.

Back